Coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just wondering. Right now I don't have any corals. Just bought a Kenya tree n it died in two days. Parameters were all good. Only thing maybe is my ph is 7.9-8.0. What I was wondering is should I be adding any kind of supplements for corals? I use reef crystals salt mix. That's the only thing that goes into my tank.

Ph being that low is not gonna cause a coral to die in 2 days. What else is in the tank as far as fish and other critters?

need your parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp and salinity.....

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 82

I got two ocellaris clowns, coral beauty n 3 cardinals. 15 red leg hermits

Angels can eat corals. Did you see the beauty near the coral? that may be the problem right there...

I didn't see anything. As far has adding supplements for the corals. What ur take on that?

I believe a kenya tree relies more on micro plankton rather than just light, also what other corals do you have? possible chemical warfare? Acclimating problems? Seems very strange to die in just two days.

That was my first coral. I put the bag in the tank to temp acc for 30 min then I drip acclimate for 2.5 hrs

I bought a frag since it was my first one. So it was already attached to a rock

I would lower you temp some. Kenya Tree is one of those corals that it either likes your system or it does not. Xenia is like that as well.

I doubt the fish in the tank caused any issues. It could have been the way you acclimated but the temp IMO is probably biggest issue...

What a nice easy way to lower the temp without it having an affect on the fish?

Do it slowly over a couple of days...you don't want to drop the temp more than 2 degrees in a 24 hour period. I would try and keep the temp between 78-80

I honestly don't think a temp of 82 is the problem here as I'm sure in the wild in peak summer and the sun is beating down on the reef temperatures probably rise higher all that said 82 is on the high side of the acceptable scale

I looked into chillers before but they are just too expensive for me right now

I just read an article that Sao most of the corals that r brought r from indo pacific n red sea. They say that the temp in those water are between 85-89 degrees. So I that true corals can survive in higher temps. I guess it mostly depends on what the temps r at lfs. Idk

I honestly don't think a temp of 82 is the problem here as I'm sure in the wild in peak summer and the sun is beating down on the reef temperatures probably rise higher all that said 82 is on the high side of the acceptable scale

I disagree...one of the reason reefs around the world are suffering is due to water temps hitting 82 and above...bad things start to happen on the reef when you get to those temps.

Back
Top Bottom