Coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read an article that Sao most of the corals that r brought r from indo pacific n red sea. They say that the temp in those water are between 85-89 degrees. So I that true corals can survive in higher temps. I guess it mostly depends on what the temps r at lfs. Idk

That is an extreme case...

A fan can help cool the tank however you will deal with more evap..

My tank was successful for many years and I kept the temp 78-80 degrees. I avoid corals like Kenya tree and xenia...

Ziggy953 said:
I disagree...one of the reason reefs around the world are suffering is due to water temps hitting 82 and above...bad things start to happen on the reef when you get to those temps.

That is a massive debate! :) and not only temp is the problem!, it is a massive shame that the reef in the near future may not be here at all but mother nature is fascinating and hopefully finds a way to adapt as it has in the past, there was a great program recently in the uk called the great barrier reef funnily enough explaining all the factors from mainland issues to mangrove populations try find it on the net. One advantage we have in home aquariums we can adjust certain parameters when required but nature can't do this. But still don't think 82 temp is the cause of this particular problem :)

My calc is around 460. My alk is around 1.7 I think. I'm out working right now. Have it written down at home. Not sure about mag. Never tested for it. All my ammonia, nitrate n nitrite r 0. Salinity is 1.025

CA at 460 should put your mg at around 1300+ not too bad.

Once again..this is one of those corals that either likes your system or it does not. Some people cannot grow it for anything and others have it crawling out of the tank. IMO it is a coral best left out of your tank....

Anything from 2.5-4 meq/L (7-11 dKh) is acceptable so your way off that's probably your problem, IMO minimum 8dkh highest 12dkh. Also magnesium makes calcium available so your calcium actually may be higher than you think if your mag is too low.
first step is to check mag and if needed raise mag to around 1350. then check calcium and if needed raise that at around 440. then check alkalinity this would have risen if you've needed to supplement mag and cal if alk hasn't raised enough you need to add carbonates to raise alkalinity on its own to around 10dkh is best.
Then after all that check your PH and it will be around 8.2 if not you have excessive co2 levels but I'm sure you'll be fine with that and your good to go. but do all this over a period if time. That's a lot to take in so sorry for any confusion and just ask and I can explain :)

Ziggy953 said:
CA at 460 should put your mg at around 1300+ not too bad.

Once again..this is one of those corals that either likes your system or it does not. Some people cannot grow it for anything and others have it crawling out of the tank. IMO it is a coral best left out of your tank....

If you don't think the alk is of any concern at 1.7meq and won't cause problems with every coral then I may as well unsubscribe to this thread now buddy

Also if calcium has been added and not magnesium as they have both been depleted over time why would his mag be 1300+ for sure?

Sounds more like simple fluctuations of most of the before mentioned levels. I'm coming intot his late and skipped over some posts, but if he is dosing to keep the levels set at a level you are messing with other levels and masking the underlying problem. Dosing calcium is especially awful with how it can mess with yoru alkalinity.

There is obviously an issue in the tank that isn't being seen. Something is masking it...if you aren't dosing, is there alot of algae buildup in the tank? Might be nitrates... What is your feeding schedule like? How much do you feed? Could be phosphates...

I don't dose. Feeding schedule is once every two days. I mostly feed them pellets. I put a couple in at time, watch them eat it, then put in a couple more. Then there not as much uneaten foods. Not really to much algea. Couple little spots on two rock. I got a TLF phosban reactor. That helps keep the phosphate low. Also got a BH 2000 reef octopus protein skimmer. My question in the beginning was maybe I needed add some sort of supplement that my tank doesn't have. Thought maybe that's why it died.

Grease said:
I don't dose. Feeding schedule is once every two days. I mostly feed them pellets. I put a couple in at time, watch them eat it, then put in a couple more. Then there not as much uneaten foods. Not really to much algea. Couple little spots on two rock. I got a TLF phosban reactor. That helps keep the phosphate low. Also got a BH 2000 reef octopus protein skimmer. My question in the beginning was maybe I needed add some sort of supplement that my tank doesn't have. Thought maybe that's why it died.

It's your alk being too low

No, kenya trees and other soft corals like xenia are odd...they either like a tank or they don't. How did it look when you got it? Even with alk being low it shouldn't have died that quickly...might have been on its way out when you got it.

It looked good from what I could tell. My lfs is a decent one. U ever hear of That Fish Place in PA?

Yeah, as a PA native I'm aware of them. They wouldn't have sold you garbage... I'm stumped. Only reasonable route is to throw your tank against the wall in frustration.

Back
Top Bottom