Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been running for a year and a half. Recently i have noticed that the Coraline algae is turning white. Is this normal

Mine has been for a while now, and its a complicated answer. Yes, it can. But, it might be something else. Temperature fluctuations, low mag/alk, astrina starfish (god i hate them), ultra low phosphate.... Try getting your water checked, or if you have and you know you don't have any issues then maybe its just one of those things. Did you get new lights? Coraline can bleach (which is why it turns white). When I upgraded my lights from Compact Florescent and 2 HO t5 to the 4 HO t5 most of my dark purple coraline died. Now i have some light purple, but it doesn't look nearly as nice.

I used to go nuts getting coraline to grow ,
now I don't bother worrying about it and it's everywhere,
but as fast as it grows my urchin eats it!!

With my test kits my ammonia,nitrates,nitrites are 0.0 ppm. Salinity is 1.023. Lights are a few months old. I noticed that it started whiting out after i added a orange spot goby ,six line wrass and a hippo tang

coraline isn't going to stop growing because you added fish unless you added fish that eat it and those fish don't eat it

Corraline turns white when it dies. Are you doing regular water changes? What is your calcium at?

Back
Top Bottom