Cories in a tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PuddlesAquatics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tall id like to put corydoras in. It is 24" tall. Will they do ok? What if I put a bubbler in the bottom, and maybe a small powerhead? My old cories liked a good current. Anyway what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corys will be just fine in a tall tank. They seem to love playing "roller coaster" in the bubbles of an air stone. I've seen them swim back and forth through one for hours. Not sure why but they need to go to the surface and gulp air once in a while. Just be sure to leave a little air space between the tank lid and the water surface for them. They're my favorite fish. What kind are you thinking about getting? OS.

I like all the colors and patterns of cories. But my first ever community tank had albino cories and they were so active and happy I have a soft spot for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 36g tall tank with two african albinos they love it. I have two back mounted filters, four bubbling stones and a bottle (self made, fluval stone) bio filter. They spend little time still like I have seen other cories.
R

A tall tank is fine for cories, it's just important to take into consideration the footprint of the tank when stocking bottom dwellers. A 30 tall has the same footprint as a 20H I believe, so you'd want to stock them according to 20 gal standards. I would recommend avoiding the larger species of cories like emerald, albino, sterbai, etc since I think they get a bit large to have an appropriate sized group within that footprint, and go with something that stays a bit smaller like julii or pandas...basically a species that won't grow much more than 2".

Last edited:
I have a 36g tall tank with two african albinos they love it. I have two back mounted filters, four bubbling stones and a bottle (self made, fluval stone) bio filter. They spend little time still like I have seen other cories.
R

I have seen you post about your african albino corys a couple times now. I'm pretty sure all corys come from South America. Were you told they are african. Are these a different kind of cory from Africa?

I also agree with siva, stick with panda, skunk, julli, and even the Pygmy. You could get about 12 Pygmy. They are cute little guys.

U
I have seen you post about your african albino corys a couple times now. I'm pretty sure all corys come from South America. Were you told they are african. Are these a different kind of cory from Africa?

I think i just read it on the placard on the tank i got them out of. Just albino then. Thanks.

I also agree with siva, stick with panda, skunk, julli, and even the Pygmy. You could get about 12 Pygmy. They are cute little guys.
Actually the pygmy's are so incredibly shy I wouldn't go for them in a larger tank since the larger fish stocked would probably scare the heck outta them. I barely ever see mine and they are stocked with only nano's. Plus they shoal mid-tank and act/look different than typical cories. The dwarf (habrosus) are another mini that does look and act like a typical cory and isn't quite as shy, those might be an option depending on the rest of the stock.

I have 6 in a 20g community. They are always out and about exploring and scavenging for leftovers. Don't seem to shy in my tank. I plan on getting a few more.

That's awesome. I'm got them from several sources and keep them in a larger group and have never been so lucky.

Back
Top Bottom