Cories vs. Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
You know, the worst part about waiting for my tank to cycle is all the thinking I do about what I want. I change my mind so many times.

Both of these are supposed to be active and playful in groups. I really like the idea of the cories, but I am thinking the loaches might add some more color as well.... Still leaning more towards cories.

Plan :
-30g (hopefully planted),
- PFS substrate.
-1 Bolivian Ram or Keyhole Cichlid
-10 Golden White Cloud Minnows
-possibly 3 Sparkling Gouramis (since the cichlids won't be in a pair there shouldn't be any aggression)
- and then either 10-12 cories or loaches depending on where I am at stock wise

I have java/kuhli loaches, and they are going NON STOP. The corys do rest and I don't see them all the time. I think your son would enjoy both, but the loaches are really funny. :) I did find one of my corys half buried in the sand though, and that was pretty funny!

there are a lot more options for cories than loaches. there is a handful of loaches that will fit in a 30 gallon.

kuhli and sids are the likely option for loaches.

Yoyos really get too big for a 30g.

My black khulis seem to constantly end up in my filter. My striped khulis are about twice as big as my blacks and they like to perch on plants. They're interesting fish.

+1 on there being a lot more variety in cories. I like my pandas.

Is the tank a 30g or a 29g? The difference I'm wondering about is the length (30" vs 36").

A 30" tank is too small IMO for most loaches. Like mg said, Sidthimunki/Dwarf Chain Loaches and Kuhlis are really the only common loaches I'd put in a 29g or 30g. If its a 29g, I would stick with at most 7-8...especially the Sidthimunki which I believe to be more active than Kuhlis. Sids are expensive...$7 each at the least....and they really need a group. With Cories, if you stick with a small species, you could get away with 10. In a 29g I'd go with Cories, if its a 3ft 30g, then check out those 2 loaches. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom