Cory cat help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon long tropical tank and wanted to add cory cats. I think I'm getting either panda or julii, depending on my lfs's selection. I had a few questions though, because I've never owned them.

1. Can I keep 4 in a 20 gallon long tank? I also have 5 platy and want to get 3 guppies (all males).

2. I have small black gravel, is that ok? I've heard sand is a pain in the butt, plus I've spent a lot on gravel and am not really interested in changing it.

3. What do they eat? I know that they need sinking pellets or wafers, but what specificaly?

Any other advice or info is appreciated. Thanks for the help!

From what I've read, gravel is acceptable for corys as long as it has smooth edges but they may not dig around in it as much as sand.

Well they're supposed to be kept in groups and mine are fine with gravel, they seems to like it as they can search in the gravel for food, mine eat some food left over from the other fish like flake etc but they mostly eat tetra pleco wafers.

I have a 20 gallon long tropical tank and wanted to add cory cats. I think I'm getting either panda or julii, depending on my lfs's selection. I had a few questions though, because I've never owned them.

1. Can I keep 4 in a 20 gallon long tank? I also have 5 platy and want to get 3 guppies (all males).

I'd suggest 6 (stocked gradually), but 4 would do fine.

2. I have small black gravel, is that ok? I've heard sand is a pain in the butt, plus I've spent a lot on gravel and am not really interested in changing it.

Sand (Pool filter sand) is the way to go IMO, but gravel should be fine as long as it has no sharp edges.

3. What do they eat? I know that they need sinking pellets or wafers, but what specificaly?

They love shrimp pellets, meaty wafers, earthworm sticks, live black worms, etc.

Any other advice or info is appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Julii tend to be more vigorous IME. Pandas are great and stay smaller, but they are a bit less hardy with shipping and acclimation.

Reactions: cwt
Back
Top Bottom