Cory cats help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon long tank. I would like 6 neon tetras, 5-6 julii corys, and 1-2 GBR's.

I was planning on getting the corys tonight, I just wanted to check that 5 will be ok in a 20 long.

Also, what food should I pick up for them? Any specific brands to look for?

Thanks!

I did some reading and I've heard shrimp pellets and algae wafers, but I've also read that just Hikari wafers is fine?

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to back posts merged. Please use edit feature rather than posting back to back, give it some time for some replies. :)

It sounds like a fine setock plan to me. I suggest going with omega one or NLS, but hikari is a fine brand as well. Corys will eat pretty much anything, but I prefer using pellets or wafers over flakes so you can keep an eye on exactly how much they are eating.

Oops, sorry.

And thanks for the input, I'll look for the Omega or NLS.

Tropical said:
I have a 20 gallon long tank. I would like 6 neon tetras, 5-6 julii corys, and 1-2 GBR's.

I was planning on getting the corys tonight, I just wanted to check that 5 will be ok in a 20 long.

Also, what food should I pick up for them? Any specific brands to look for?

Thanks!

I did some reading and I've heard shrimp pellets and algae wafers, but I've also read that just Hikari wafers is fine?

Suggestions?

Juliis are ok with that footprint. Pandas are better because they are smaller. Get at least 4, so 5 is fine. I wouldn't add more than 6.

I feed mine shrimp pellets (do NOT buy Wardley brand!!! They're very messy), hikari algae wafers (they love them) and tetra sinking wafers. Any wafer is fine, but make sure they get some veggies in their diet. I alternate between algae wafers and meaty wafers. Shrimp pellets are probably a good staple. Hikari is a brand I find to be very reliable and easy to find!

Make sure to not add your entire stock all at once! Good luck! Juliis are adorable.

I agree, julii are fine. :)
In case your rams pair up, watch out to make sure that they don't get nasty to the corys. It should be fine, but sometimes a ram will nip at the corys. Again, it should be fine, just keep an eye out. ;)
Honestly, with a 20g long, as long as your filtation is good and your water parameters hold up, you can add more neons if you want. 6 is the good place to start, but I would think like 10 or possibly a few more would be good if you want. :)

The julii's are fine. I'd go with 6 of them. But I'd probably stick to one GBR for a tank that size...or if you go for two I would select two of the same sex.

I would probably go with something that swims a little higher in the tank instead of the neons, since all the groups of fish you've chosen swim mid-bottom.

Back
Top Bottom