Cory Habitat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read that Cories like planted tanks so they can hide away from the light. What else would work well in a tank that has Cories? Would they want things like caves and rocks to hid behind?

yes. I have a Bridge decoration and a shark cave/arch, and during the day they like to rest under these. Night it when they come out and are much more active. Evening and morning and sometimes they come out and swim around a bit (nothing like at night) but right now in the middle of the afternoon they are resting. They also enjoy being in groups, minimum of 3, but more like 6 is better I think. Since I have a 10 gal, I only have 3, but when I had one it was no where near as happy as it is now.

theotheragentm said:
I read that Cories like planted tanks so they can hide away from the light. What else would work well in a tank that has Cories? Would they want things like caves and rocks to hid behind?

Yes, that's a perfect cory habitat - 3 or more cories are the best to keep them in too

My tank is heavily planted and I have 9 in my 20 gal... (I transfered 3 over from another tank).

I halved a coconut, scooped everything out and shaped a door (used a rotary tool to smooth it out) - They Love It!

But any cave type object would work.

Great. I have some Moai figures and rocks which provide things for them to hide behind, but no real cave structures at this point to provide top cover. I am hesitant as I think it might change the look that I want on my tank, but I think a cave is in order for the Cories.

I have a terra cotta pot (a small one from the craft store) in my 55g and my cories like to hide in there. Its kind of hidden in the plants so it doesn't stick out so bad. ;) Mine hide under my stem plants too where its darker. If you can find small pieces of slate rock, I have some caves I made. I just took 2 small pieces and pushed a corner into the substrate and leaned them against each other....makes for a nice little cave for the cories and loaches. If you have room, larger slate pieces would work too.

JustOneMore20 said:
I have a terra cotta pot (a small one from the craft store) in my 55g and my cories like to hide in there. Its kind of hidden in the plants so it doesn't stick out so bad. ;) Mine hide under my stem plants too where its darker. If you can find small pieces of slate rock, I have some caves I made. I just took 2 small pieces and pushed a corner into the substrate and leaned them against each other....makes for a nice little cave for the cories and loaches. If you have room, larger slate pieces would work too.

I had small rocks collapse from fish digging in the sand. I'm a bit scared to build my own structures. Here are half of my Cories just for everyone's enjoyment and my own gloating. :D

img_800455_0_0fd78d76131a0653badb18215e507e7e.jpg

If you're worried about rocks falling over, it may be possible to rig something up using aquarium sealant. I have a couple of great little caves that I've made using some smaller rocks and and sealant.

Back
Top Bottom