Cory help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was watching my corys and I noticed that my skunk Cory is missing his barbels! The other two I have, pandas are fine. The skunk appears to at least be looking for food. Could another fish have done this? Could they have broken off on the gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Yeah, they were there, made a point to check. I have small gravel substrate.

Usually when barbells go missing it's because the substrate is to rough on them. You should really have sand in there for them or small rounded pebbles the normal gravel found in multiple colors can hurt there fragile barbells.

I figured that, unfortunately not when I got them. My other two are doing well though. :)

Corydoras can be subject to rotting of the barbels around their mouths. But it may not affect all of the fish at the same time. Normally this can occur when they are kept in a tank with a dirty substrate or nitrate levels that are too high.

This can cause an infection in their mouths that literally rot away their barbels. You probably need to treat them with something like Maracyn or Maracyn II to combat the infection.

Check your water quality. You may need to vacuum the substrate again and do a pwc if the nitrates are too high. You need to monitor water quality closely until they are healed. You need to fix the root problem to keep this from happening again. If you do, their barbels should grow back.

If your water quality is fine then the only other thing I can think of is that they got damaged somehow, then became infected. Rough substrate could do this. You will probably still need to treat with Maracyn in any case

Thanks, I didn't think of infection. I did do a test and on the API master test the amm was 0, the nitrites were 0 and the nitrated were between 0 & 5 ppm. I did a 50 % pwc and a vac. Ashamed to say how much came up. Seemed to have cleared my tannins too.

Back
Top Bottom