Cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lnmmenthol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 6 corries, I've only had them for about a week but I've read about how much personality they have and mine are quite skittish, every time I get up to walk past they dart into hiding. Is this normal behavior for a group of these guys.

I have 6 corries, I've only had them for about a week but I've read about how much personality they have and mine are quite skittish, every time I get up to walk past they dart into hiding. Is this normal behavior for a group of these guys.

They're just getting used to there new tank

I thought so, just not sure how long it will take to get used to, I guess no one really does. Thanks

Your Corydoras

Hello Inm...

This is pretty normal behavior for Corys. They're extremely shy fish. That's why you should keep them in tanks with subdued lighting and heavily plant the bottom. I keep several species of these foraging fish and some will get used to movement like Albinos, Emeralds and Bronze varieties. Some never do like my Pandas, Orange Saddles and Leopards.

B

I keep a mixed shoal of 8 Cory's, pandas and leopards. They forage amongst the plants during the day but all come out to feed in the evening. They will quite happily accept me sitting by the tank but scatter at any sudden movement. When I got the first few they were very nervous but as I've added extras the new ones team up with the 'experts' and settle in very quickly. Just be patient and ensure they have plenty of cover if they choose not to come out.

There is a cave I built and a few plants I will invest in more once I see that these plants do ok. They seem fine with me sitting and watching but like you said any sudden movement and they scatter. They are also more active in the evening. I also am on the hunt for a piece of driftwood which should help with ground cover.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395064917.202829.jpg

My Pygmy Cories practically knock themselves out running into the glass and decorations in an attempt to hide from me. I've had them for about 6 months.
The Panda Cories that I've had for one month don't even seems to notice me. Take what you like from this. :)

Back
Top Bottom