Corydora question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daymine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I see my corys dart up to the surface once in a while. Is that normal?

Yeah it's normal they are somewhat like betta they have a labyrinth organ and can breath air. If it's just once in a while that's all they are doing, but if it is fairly often that my indicate poor water quality.

Yeah, mine used to dart up to the surface and sneak a bit of food. I would be watching them, than all of the sudden, they would start wiggling there tails and rocket up and in seconds were back down on the bottom.

I don't believe they are labyrinth fish.

It has something to do with their insides because after they gulp air sometimes they'll have a little air bubble come out of their rear. I've heard a few different explanations but from what I've read I don't believe they actually breathe the air. And its perfectly normal for them to do this periodically through the day.

Not disagreeing with you jeta, but everything I have read says they are, well at least 9 out of 10. So fish don't actually need a labyrinth organ to breath air? Or are you saying that gulping air doesn't do them any good as far as oxygen?

Corys aren't classified as labyrinth fish. They go up for oxygen just like a labyrinth fish, and they do it for the same reason, extra oxygen. The reason why they aren't classified as labyrinth fish is that they lack the specialized organ called the labyrinth (go figure). Corys absorb the oxygen through their intestines instead.

Just like Predfan27 said: via AquariumWiki: "In these fish the posterior intestine is modified to function as an air breathing organ by being air-filled, thin-walled and highly vascularized. This means the fish often comes to the surface to swallow gulps of air and passes this to its rear intestine to supplement its oxygen intake via its gills.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mine dash to the top to grab a gulp of air, dive to the bottom and swim about for a few. They also "blink" their eyes in a cute fashion ;)

Back
Top Bottom