cory's in a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
could i put 3-4 cories in a 10g aquarium? I would like to have either albino or panda cories. Also could i mix them for example get 2 pandas and to albino? Thanks :)

The issue is that you wouldn't be able to put much more than those 4 Corys in there. If that is all you are looking for than I think that would be fine, though I would recommend 4 of the same species. I have 8 Julii and 6 Peppered and while they do school together, not sure I would depend on that. Worth a try I guess.

There are dwarf corys out there. I think you could get 4 of those in there plus something else.

3-5 pandas would be good, they are a smaller cory and should do nicely. I have a group in my 20 and they are fun to watch.

In my experience, different varieties of cory cats DO school together. So you could probably get both varieties you're looking at.

If you want something other than just cory cats, you should get all pandas, as they are somewhat smaller than many other species of cory. If you are looking at getting other fish, I would recommend white cloud mountain minnows. They're a small fish (topping out at around 1 inch long full-grown) and they're also very hardy.

Regular-sized cories don't belong in a 10g, they're too active...

if you do pygmy or another dwarf species that stays under 1 inch, it's fine.

Do what you like, but I don't recommend it, and neither do many experienced people on here. Those cories will get up to 2 inches or more each and will not have enough room to exercise and display their proper spazzing behavior.

Large adult female pandas may reach two inches with males being smaller. I agree with you about most corys except I have always felt pandas are small enough for a ten.

I suppose it depends on the individual; some stocking choices are controversial.

I suppose it depends on the individual; some stocking choices are controversial.

Well, maybe I should just sit tight with my shrimp to clean along with the snails. I am sure that with all the plants, my gravel is a good source fertilizer. I am going to add more shrimp when I introduce them to the 20g.

Yeah, or go with pygmy cories. But shrimp are entertaining too, and a great addition.

Pygmaeus, hastatus, habrosus are all good choices for a 10 IMO. I agree that pandas are doable. Even the pygmaeus max out at around an inch or maybe a little more for females, not under. It's just really rare to see an adult.

They're not that difficult if you can find healthy stock, but that can be a challenge.

Can be quite the challenge with pandas too, unfortunately.

If I could offer a suggestion, steer clear of pandas that have recently arrived at a shop (more so even than other fish). IME they often tend to ship really poorly and they'll start crashing after they arrive at the destination.

Can be quite the challenge with pandas too, unfortunately.

If I could offer a suggestion, steer clear of pandas that have recently arrived at a shop (more so even than other fish). IME they often tend to ship really poorly and they'll start crashing after they arrive at the destination.
oh. then maybe i shouldnt do pandas either. do you have any suggestions for a cory that would do well in a 10g tank?

Back
Top Bottom