Corys in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I've been moving (real big mess) I have my 55 at my new house that still doesn't have electricity. I'm staying at my old house but no furniture for about a week or two more. I want to bring my Corys back to my lived in house in a plastic bin with the filter and have them with me while we work the light situation at the new house. Is this possible? What is the minimum water volume I can keep them in temporarily? Can I have it bare bottom? There are nine bronze Corys, and I really don't want to lose any (I love them like I love my dog) any help or experience would be great. Thank you very much for your time.

I feel for you. I absolutely hate transferring fish but it is so worth it in the end. IMO/E a large bucket (bare bottom is fine) will work well. Preferably a dark color like black because fish are less stressed when they can't see. I use a black trashcan (medium sized) that I bought from home depot... Their orange buckets aren't a bad choice either. ;) How long is the drive and can you estimate how long your electricity will take? Because a filter and heater may not be necessary. But it's always a good backup plan.

First I siphon out some tank water and into the bucket (don't wanna shock the cats with new water!)

Net the fish out and place into bucket.

I like to cover the top of the bucket to insure a pitch black and less stressful environment for the fish. Cories don't have great eyesight anyways...

Then just put them in the car for transfer and be sure the temp isn't TOO hot or TOO cold. Temperature issues during the summer.... haha.

Then once you can get the electricity working, drip acclimate them in the bucket they're already in. If you wanted to equalize their temp even more, transfer them into ziplock bags with some tank water and float them. And then just acclimate like you would normally.

Back
Top Bottom