Could a stocking calculator be good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had never even heard of a stocking calculator until yesterday, but immediately people were talking about how useless they are. It seems the reason people say they're useless is because they generally use the 1" per gallon rule, which even I (a newbie) know is nonsense.

So, my question is: Can a stocking calculator actually work? If one was made in such a way that it didn't use the 1" per gallon rule, but instead used a lot of variables for all the different fish and animals you could put in a tank based on research done for each particular animal, would it be acceptable? What would you need to see in a stocking calculator to make it acceptable?

There are a lot of stocking calculators out there that do precisely what you are you describing... take into account multiple variables (much more than the 1" per gallon "rule"). They are still not accurate as there are just too many variable to take into account. The best method for someone new to the hobby is to ask questions in a place like this... someone with personal experience in raising the fish in question can offer good advice on what will and what will not work. In the end, stocking all comes down to opinion... it is usually just a question of how educated the opinion is.

I agree with fort.

I would never use a stocking calculator. This is just a reflection of the opinion of the person who designed it. While there will be many opinions, mine is always right (ok, joking). When you ask on a forum such as this, you will get lots of EXPERIENCED answers. The thing about this hobby is that what works for once person may not work for the next.

That makes sense. I guess I just come from an industry in which everything is numbers, and there is always a right and wrong way of doing things. This is a bit different for me because of how varied results can be even when doing something the same.

This is certainly a very good forum, and both of you have been extremely helpful to me so far, and I really appreciate it. I guess I'll just disregard this project and do more research on what I want.

Back
Top Bottom