Cut back plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 plants in my tank, but none seem to be doing very well. Should I trim them back? The only instructions I have read are to trim back brown leaves, but none of them have taken off quite yet. I have moderate light on them, sand substrate, and am using Leaf Zone aquarium plant food. I removed one of my plants this morning, it was dying back, and really making a mess of the tank.

I have a java fern, some thin blade grass, and a couple more that I do not know the names of. They have been in the tank for about 3 weeks now. Sorry I cannot tell you the names of my plants.

Got pictures? 3 weeks isn't really enough time to see any real growth with java fern or most grasses IMO. Now, if you had anacharis, hornwort, or wisteria, I'd be suspecting some sort of issue....

I'm concerned your thin blade grass might be one of the less-than-aquatic plants that are commonly sold... Was that the one that got gross on you?

I cannot figure out how to post a picture here, however, if you go to my profile, the only pic there is what I am talking about. The reddish plant to the right of the tank is what went bad. Looks pretty good in that pic, but went almost completely brown, and made a mess. The grassy plant to the left is not doing anything. There is a java fern in the back right, which has brown/black spots on it, and seems lifeless now. Also, the back left plant, I believe it is anacharis, will not root, and it has been in the tank for 4 weeks now. It is the oldest one.

Awesome! okay, here is the picture.Thank you.:dance:
If you look closely enough, there are some loose leaves from the reddish plant on the right. It almost disintagrated, eventually.

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 48
If you look closely enough, there are a couple of leaves floating around, those leaves are from the reddish plant on the right. It basically disintegrated.

Yes, green spotted puffers. A bit of aquarium salt added to the tank is all. They are okay in freshwater. They are thriving, but my plants are not. :-(

Back
Top Bottom