Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

felku

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long cycling can take for a 10g aquarium? I already have 3 weeks and I seems to have problem to keep ammonia low. I have to make water changes 1 days , 1 day not. The day I don't do the water change the ammonia is at .50pmm , I don't know if my testing kit is bad but I always get 0 from nitrite and right now getting 40 from nitrate. Also don't know if is a bad thing but since I live in Puerto Rico the aquarium is around 85 and 89F . Although they seem happy.

Don't use the strips to test the water as they can be inaccurate...also are you cycling with fish or without?
With fish..I'd choose 4-5 small community fish just to get the cycle going (good Bactria) without I'd us a small amount of fish food also to get the Bactria going.
Do water changes at least 1x a week 40/60% until ammonia is 0.
If you have live plants in the tank they can also give off ammonia eg: they could be dying, bits of leaves breaking off due to the plant rotting therefore giving ammonia [emoji4] hope this helps a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Use the Api master test , so no strips. I have fish since I didn't know about cycling until I found this forum. I have 4 fish , 3 platy and 1 shark bala(didn't know they can get big). I have 3 weeks doing constant water change 40-50 if I skip like 2 days without water changes ammonia can go over 1 pmm.

Don't use the strips to test the water as they can be inaccurate...also are you cycling with fish or without?
With fish..I'd choose 4-5 small community fish just to get the cycle going (good Bactria) without I'd us a small amount of fish food also to get the Bactria going.
Do water changes at least 1x a week 40/60% until ammonia is 0.
If you have live plants in the tank they can also give off ammonia eg: they could be dying, bits of leaves breaking off due to the plant rotting therefore giving ammonia [emoji4] hope this helps a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Use the Api master test , so no strips. I have fish since I didn't know about cycling until I found this forum. I have 4 fish , 3 platy and 1 shark bala(didn't know they can get big). I have 3 weeks doing constant water change 40-50 if I skip like 2 days without water changes ammonia can go over 1 pmm.

This is a typical fish in cycle. Just keep testing and water changes. One day you will wake up to 0 ammonia and nitrites and the tank will be cycled.

Best to find a new home for that bala when you can.

Caleb

This is a typical fish in cycle. Just keep testing and water changes. One day you will wake up to 0 ammonia and nitrites and the tank will be cycled.

Best to find a new home for that bala when you can.

Caleb

Thanks for advice, I know the first advice is to have patience but today when I checked ammonia level I got kind of dissapointed. I expected to have lower ammonia level at least. About the shark Bala , yes I'm thinking in get a new aquarium or give it to a friend and focus on small fishes for now while I learn more.

If it helps, I just finished a fish-in cycle and went almost 4 weeks with no really appreciable results. then one morning the nitrite test was purple and a week after that no ammonia. Lots of water changes. Hang in there and keep changing water.

It seems my ammonia levels are starting to lower(or at least not increase like before) and nitrites are increasing. Also nitrates are also increasing now. I will keep with my water changes until the cycle completes.

Ammonia keeps getting low now but nitrites seems to be getting higher

Attachments

• IMAG0694.jpg
    IMAG0694.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 54
This is a fish in cycle!

Water change! Nitrites are even more toxic to those fish than ammonia is.

You have to keep those levels low or you are going to have some sick and dying fish.

Caleb

I did a WC yesterday, and will do another one today of 50% since I see that nitrite tube very purple

Well after I made a wc yesterday. Today I tested the water again and see lots of improvement.

Attachments

• IMAG0698.jpg
    IMAG0698.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 70
That's much better. Best not to let those nitrites get in the purple again. Very bad for the fish.

Caleb

How long can take a cycle to finish. My ammonia levels are low now but nitrite are high. Since the conversion started , the nitrite have been increasing almost daily , I have been force to do a 40% wc everyday.

How long can take a cycle to finish. My ammonia levels are low now but nitrite are high. Since the conversion started , the nitrite have been increasing almost daily , I have been force to do a 40% wc everyday.

Fish in cycles can take longer than a fishless to fully support the bioload, due to the number of water changes you have to make to keep the fish safe. About 4 weeks is the low end and 10 weeks being the high end estimate. Just keep up with the water changes nitrite poisoning will look like gasping, it stops the gills from properly extracting oxygen. If see this doing a massive water change is in order. Some commercial products can help get the bacteria started. Even better would be some used filter media from a friend with a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I doing wc every day to prevent the fish of being harm. I don't have problem doing this but I fear of the fish getting stressed because of this. I already have 5 weeks working with the tank to cycle.

I doing wc every day to prevent the fish of being harm. I don't have problem doing this but I fear of the fish getting stressed because of this. I already have 5 weeks working with the tank to cycle.

You are getting close. High nitrites means any day now they will drop off.

Caleb

So I have been doing wc changes daily. Still having problems getting nitrites low. Since yesterday I notice the water is cloudy. Today I checked parameters again, ammonia is low, nitrite are high and got surprise that nitrates lowered to 5ppm. It is normal to the water get cloudy?

So I have been doing wc changes daily. Still having problems getting nitrites low. Since yesterday I notice the water is cloudy. Today I checked parameters again, ammonia is low, nitrite are high and got surprise that nitrates lowered to 5ppm. It is normal to the water get cloudy?
Sounds like have been busy changing water!(y)
It is NOT normal to have cloudy water although many experience this.
It is a bacterial imbalance .
Besides the tank cycling cloudy water is often due to overfeeding.
IMO you should keep up on waterchanges and do NOT feed the fish for 3 days.

Sounds like have been busy changing water!(y)
It is NOT normal to have cloudy water although many experience this.
It is a bacterial imbalance .
Besides the tank cycling cloudy water is often due to overfeeding.
IMO you should keep up on waterchanges and do NOT feed the fish for 3 days.

Thanks for the advice, I forgot to add that I have some frys on a breeders box so probably that is helping with the over feeding.

Back
Top Bottom