Cycle thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peacockkeeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I set up my 75g a week ago and used filter media from my 29g tank to cycle faster. I moved my fish over 12 various malwi peacocks mostly small (under 2" ) and 4 of them are larger. Because I used filter media from an old tank I read it should be a quick cycle. I have been monitering the levels with my API test kit.
2 days ago my levels were
Ammonia .25-.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I have been doing 40% water changes almost daily. I didn't have time yesterday and my levels today are
Ammonia 0-.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

I am including a picture of today's results because I'm colorblind and have a terrible time reading the ammonia but it looks no higher than .25 to me.

So my question is should I do a water change today.

And where do you guys think I am in the cycle process? My ammonia has never gotten above .5 and I really don't think it has even reached that high that was 3 days ago. Just looking for what everyone thinks. ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391727946.576620.jpg

I was actually in the exact same scenario as you, except my new tank is 55g. My ammonia did go up a tad for 2-3 days, but the BB re-established itself in the new tank soon after. From the picture, it looks like you're set. Although if you have white lighting on your fish tank, you can turn off all of the lights in the room and check your readings next to the tank to get more accurate readings. Should go to the store and get some Seachem Stability/Prime, but by the readings it looks like you're pretty much at least 95% cycled :)

Today's results it looks like Ammonia is hanging on just a bit but I'm not positive because I have a really hard time telling the difference between yellow and green but everything else looks spot on.

Ammonia between 0-.25
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 5-10ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391812166.424844.jpg

Hello keeper...

Cycling with fish is pretty simple. You introduce a few fish, usually small ones and no more than 3 to 4 for every 10 gallons of tank size. You drop in some floating stem plants to help filter the water and then test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you change out 25 percent of the water. That's enough to steady the water chemistry for the fish and leave something for the growing good bacteria. When you have several, daily tests with no trace of either ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

B

Today's results it looks like Ammonia is hanging on just a bit but I'm not positive because I have a really hard time telling the difference between yellow and green but everything else looks spot on.

Ammonia between 0-.25
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 5-10

I would give it 1 more day and check!

Back
Top Bottom