Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irish.OG87 said:
Ok...before you have a mental breakdown...avoid any sort of "starter fluid" cos when you using them you will end up thinkin ur cycled but actually all it will do is give you false readings and end up with dead fish, forget what lfs ppl say and persuade them to give u some old media.

Haha ok. I'll try some different places Monday and try it out. I'll punch a pet shop owner in his ear if he tries to sell me crap again.

If someone does manage to talk you into a cycling product...Tetra SafeStart is the only one I'd let remotely near my tank. Even then I'd personally recommend against it. A nice, dirty filter pad from an established tank is like gold though.

eco23 said:
If someone does manage to talk you into a cycling product...Tetra SafeStart is the only one I'd let remotely near my tank. Even then I'd personally recommend against it. A nice, dirty filter pad from an established tank is like gold though.

Yeah I said that or asked for so gravel and that but they said it doesn't work. And I'm afraid these places will have some sort of diease in there tanks? Or will that even matter cause I have no fish yet?

Doing it this way (fishless cycling) your saving a couple of fish and when ur tank is cycled you can literally fully stock ur tank without any issues because adding the ammonia ur creating so much BB that by the time you do stock ur tank the BB will be able to handle the anything the fish throws at it.

Yeah I said that or asked for so gravel and that but they said it doesn't work. And I'm afraid these places will have some sort of diease in there tanks? Or will that even matter cause I have no fish yet?

well i wud think the high temp wud kill whatever it add on the media or gravel

Irish.OG87 said:
well i wud think the high temp wud kill whatever it add on the media or gravel

I might even offer to buy them a new filter for there old ones. That could work maybe. And just mash it in beside my one and any old filter from any fish will do will it? Thanks again lads

I might even offer to buy them a new filter for there old ones. That could work maybe. And just mash it in beside my one and any old filter from any fish will do will it? Thanks again lads

Yes, stick the old nasty lookin one next to ur one so it transfer and make new BB on ur current filter also.

Irish.OG87 said:
Yes, stick the old nasty lookin one next to ur one so it transfer and make new BB on ur current filter also.

Bb is beneficial bacteria I'm guessing ha. Ok I might get up before work tomorrow and get this a go. And then hopefully start posting results

Steo the great said:
Bb is beneficial bacteria I'm guessing ha. Ok I might get up before work tomorrow and get this a go. And then hopefully start posting results

Went to the pet shop today. Ask for some filter media or gravel an the idiot was like " no that doesn't work he said there'll be too much bacteria in the gravel of filter he gives me and it will just die off In a day so there's no point. Is everyone an idiot or what. Guess I'm stuck.

Steo the great said:
Went to the pet shop today. Ask for some filter media or gravel an the idiot was like " no that doesn't work he said there'll be too much bacteria in the gravel of filter he gives me and it will just die off In a day so there's no point. Is everyone an idiot or what. Guess I'm stuck.

Same problem I had, I even thought about running round the back of there tanks to 'borrow' some of there filter media lol.

It's hard to get used media isn't it, it's crazy lol

If you're desperate you could try an "active" sponge filter from here: Sponge Filters for aquariums They're seeded sponge filters they sell from their tanks (get an "active" one, the others aren't seeded). If you don't have an air pump to attach it to you could probably cut it up and jam the pieces into your filter. It's cheap enough to try. A lot of members on here have used them to seed their tanks and have gotten mixed results, but it couldn't hurt.

librarygirl said:
It's hard to get used media isn't it, it's crazy lol

If you're desperate you could try an "active" sponge filter from here: Sponge Filters for aquariums They're seeded sponge filters they sell from their tanks (get an "active" one, the others aren't seeded). If you don't have an air pump to attach it to you could probably cut it up and jam the pieces into your filter. It's cheap enough to try. A lot of members on here have used them to seed their tanks and have gotten mixed results, but it couldn't hurt.

Very very. Hard there so stupid thinking they know it all? An thats an american website will the bacteria be ok travelling to Europe. And I have pump so should be good. I'll send them a message. Thanks again.

Tbh its not the ned of the world if you cant find old media, its a 14g so it shudnt take forever as long as you follow the fishless cycle thread by eco23

Irish.OG87 said:
Tbh its not the ned of the world if you cant find old media, its a 14g so it shudnt take forever as long as you follow the fishless cycle thread by eco23

Ah right hopefully. I'll give it another week with this ammonia. Then might have to do a water change and try lower the ammonia that way.

you will also want to test for nitrites once your ammonia level starts dropping. Once the ammonia level and nitrite level both register zero the tank should be completely cycled. Do a 50% water change before you add fish, as the ammonia will leave some residue behind. I have cycled tanks this way for years and never had any problems. You were given excellent advice by the folks on this forum;)

Hi again my friend has an aquarium but hasn't had fish in it for a couple of months. And it was an uncycled tank. Would the bacteria in his filter be of any use.

Irish.OG87 said:
bacteria not kepted wet, dies after 2 weeks...so ur friends tank hasnt got any bb left lol

Hey. There is still water In The tank just all the fish are gone.

Back
Top Bottom