cycling and stocking my new five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water test results:
nitrate: 5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Ph: 7.8

What about pygmy gouramis? Also, what are all the types of annual killifish?

I think pygmy gouramis and sparkling gouramis are the same. They might require a minimum of 10 gals to be happy and reduce agression. They seem to prefer established tanks so new setups might not be good since they can be sensitive from what I'm reading. I would start a stocking thread and ask these questions so others with actual experience can give you advice. Although honestly in a 5 gal you're not going to be able to keep much, either a single betta and some shrimp or a small school of nano fish, that might be about it.

Do you think mu tank is ready for fish? I tested the water this morning.
If you think I am, I will put two of my guppies currently in the ten gallon into the new tank. Then it will stay cycled and we wont have to keep putting fish food in. And when I do get the fancy guppies that are good for breeding online, they will go in the new tank. Then I will selectively breed them. I might even breed whole batches of fry upon request, for a low price, and ship them. Lol (the following is a very crazy and dumb idea:...) I could have people send me one of their guppies and choose which one of mine they want to breed. Then I could ship the fry and their original guppy back to them.

Honestly I don't know, I'm not familiar with your process and the whole fish food thing. I'd feel much better if we could be sure, but without pure ammonia I'm not sure how else to test it. If you do put a few fish in there keep it to only a few small ones and test the water EVERY DAY for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. Change the water any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over 0.25. If by some chance they stay at 0 for two weeks straight then I'd say it's cycled. Keep an eye on nitrates too, don't let them get over 20 and don't forget at least 1 weekly water change even if your results are OK. Just be careful.

librarygirl said:
Honestly I don't know, I'm not familiar with your process and the whole fish food thing. I'd feel much better if we could be sure, but without pure ammonia I'm not sure how else to test it. If you do put a few fish in there keep it to only a few small ones and test the water EVERY DAY for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. Change the water any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over 0.25. If by some chance they stay at 0 for two weeks straight then I'd say it's cycled. Keep an eye on nitrates too, don't let them get over 20 and don't forget at least 1 weekly water change even if your results are OK. Just be careful.

It is cycled. I know because my mom just told me that she put my mickey mouse sunburst platy in there because my guppies were bugging him... so when I got to her house, I tested everything, and the last test results I posted are up to date. The platy was in there for about 5 days.

Iii was at walmart a while ago, and they had green cobra guppies. But it was walmart. :( should I still buy from them to rescue some of them?

tarpon said:
If you can quarantine i would

I can qt... but the problem is, last time I saw the fancy good looking ones there, there were also a ton of the clear shrimp that are aggressive, commonly mistaken as ghost shrimp. They were pinching the poor fish's tails, and pulling them down. Some were dead, and they were eating them. :(

There is no way I would personally ever buy there for numerous reasons. First, by purchasing fish from Wal-mart...you may be "rescuing" the few you purchase, but all that will happen is that they will simply replace the ones you buy with more and you will be supporting their business and giving them reason to continue selling fish in far less than suitable conditions in my experience.

The only way to keep particular stores from continuing to sell fish is by boycotting and making it non-profitable to sell animals.

There may be some Walmart's that have suitable environments...but not that I've ever seen.

Besides, if you're already seeing dead and dying fish...that is an absolute stop sign IMO.

eco23 said:
There is no way I would personally ever buy there for numerous reasons. First, by purchasing fish from Wal-mart...you may be "rescuing" the few you purchase, but all that will happen is that they will simply replace the ones you buy with more and you will be supporting their business and giving them reason to continue selling fish in far less than suitable conditions in my experience.

The only way to keep particular stores from continuing to sell fish is by boycotting and making it non-profitable to sell animals.

There may be some Walmart's that have suitable environments...but not that I've ever seen.

Besides, if you're already seeing dead and dying fish...that is an absolute stop sign IMO.

I agree, buying fish from them doesn't help anything. Boycotting is the best way to help, but contacting a manager and complaining is also good. I will just order online...

Since I will have guppy fry in the five gallon, do you think I will need either another filter, or a more powerful filter? That many fry will make ALOT of ammonia.... I will also need a cleanup crew...
for the clean up crew, does this sound good:
-some nerite snails
- either amino shrimp, or red cherry shrimp

Could an otto go in there? What about a dwarf cory?

tarpon said:
Id get a sponge filter for fry. A regular style one will suck em up

Not if I shove a sponge Anthe filter intake. I will probably take off the extender thing that has a fish guard thing, and just put the sponge in the tube that remains. I will post some pictures to better explain what I mean tonight. But wont the sponge in the tube slow down my filter?

eco23 said:
Just cut a piece of mechanical filter pad to size and wrap it around the intake with rubber bands.

Ok. I will when I get to my moms house today. Do you think I will need more filtration, since there will be so many fry in the tank? There wont be an extreme amount, it will only be up to 2 batches of fry at a time...

Back
Top Bottom