cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just tested my water. Am I done....? If I am I might just have to throw a party. I totally wasn't expecting these readings today lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120112_174020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120112_174020.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 34
Congrats!!!!! Just continue to dose amm for a few more days to make sure your amm/nitrite continue to zero out. The day your ready for fish, skip the amm & do a big water change to lower your nitrates as low as possible. It may take more than one big wc. Dont forget the water conditioner & make sure the new water is temp matched to your tank water so you dont shock your bacteria. Adjust the temp (if was high) for your fish & read up on 'drip acclimation' (check utube videos) if your not familiar with it. Congrats again!! :)

And thanks jlk :). I never considered shocking my bacteria with water changes. Does the same go for fish? How would I heat up/cool down the water before I put it in the tank?

And thanks jlk :). I never considered shocking my bacteria with water changes. Does the same go for fish? How would I heat up/cool down the water before I put it in the tank?

Its a delicate balance we keep in our little ecosystems- any abrupt changes are enough to throw it off (such as a difference in temps). The same goes for your fish. A temp shock (really cold or hot water) stresses them as well. How are you changing your water right now? The easiest method is to use water from your tap (kitchen/bathroom) that you can adjust the temp on (either buckets or python/something similar) to match your tank water. If this is not possible, you can place buckets of water in room where your tank is & allow it to sit overnight so it comes to match the temp of your tank. Using a faucet that has both cold & hot water is the easiest method. A thermometer is the most accurate method for macthing water temp but not necessary. You can use your hand to match & this is accurate within a few degrees. Hope this helps! :)

Yah that definitely helps. I think I might just buy an extra heater and a thermometer for quarantine and water changes

A simple qt would be a 10gal with heater & filter. I dont use heaters (keep coldwater fish) so i do not have a good suggestion for one but an decent filter would be an aqueon 10 or something similar. Run the filter on your cycled main tank until you need to use it & it will be seeded for an instantly cycled qt (this takes a few wks). You should ask in gen discussion for a heater suggestion help. :)

I'm wondering cuz I found a 20 gallon on the street that came with a light and a tetra whisperer 20i. And I wanted to use it as a Q tank. So I cleaned it all up, except the filter. I put water in it and I have four otos, that I bought today, occupying it currently that I want to put into my tank by monday, the latest. Is a filter and cycle necessary for this short amount of time? If so, how would I go about cleaning the Whisperer 20i?

A 20g qt tank is even better!!! Yes, a cycle & filter for this tank are necessary. You will need to check the water daily & do pwcs as needed to keep any levels of amm/nitrite under .25ppm. You can clean the filter housing with warm water & vinegar & rinse well. You will have to get some type of media to place in the filter. I would look into a foam filter insert for this filter. Hope this helps!

I'm finally done!!!!!! Here r some pics of the end product. It is stool in progress tho.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120127_172106.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120127_172106.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 39
  • ForumRunner_20120127_172124.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120127_172124.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20120127_172135.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120127_172135.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 40
  • ForumRunner_20120127_172147.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120127_172147.jpg