Cycling QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Newbie dumb question here...

OK... so this is kind of "Part 2" from my phosphates from my decaying shrimp post.

I'm setting up a 46g bowfront, and am cycling my 10g quarantine since it's going to be in action for a while as I slowly stock my 46g. From my previous post, it's obvious I had waaaaay too much dead shrimp in there - I put one whole one in for a 10 gallon. Before I realized I had too much, I thought I had too little, and threw in another 1/2 a shrimp for good measure.

During all that, the only biological filtration I had was a Penguin BioWheel 100. Ammonia after a couple weeks was at least 6.0ppm, maybe higher. So... after 3 weeks, I'd managed to spike my ammonia up to 6+ppm with only a biowheel, and with no detectable nitrites or nitrates.

Upon realizing from comments here that too much ammonia would not allow the beneficial bacteria to grow and that a lone biowheel was a little on the small side, I removed all dead shrimp and bought a 3-4 lb chunk of "live" base rock. (It was as dead as a doornail, though. At least it will give a "home" for the bacteria.) I then did a 50% water change, and then another 20% the next day.

So now I'm nearing my 4th week since I threw my shrimp in to rot, and I'm back down to an ammonia level of 1.5-2.0ppm (from the water changes) with a biowheel and a chunk of live rock, and STILL no perceptable levels of nitrite or nitrates.

Question: Since my ammonia levels were so high, am I basically starting my cycle time over from the time I finally lowered my ammonia levels? It seems strange that I haven't detected any increase in nitrites yet.

EDIT:Nevermind... answered my own question! (Why is it - you struggle with question yourself for a while, but the minute you ask it out loud the answer is obvious?!!)

I tested the QT water tonight and that darn light blue tint from the Nitrite kit finally turned purple! Woohoo!! Nitrites are now perceptable at 0.25ppm and the Nitrates are heading up, somewhere around 10ppm.

Looks like it's finally started. Cool.

Here is a thought, do not cycle the QT tank at all. Find an established tank and put your filtration on it for a week or two. I keep a small HOB with sponge running on my sump all the time. That way when it is time to setup my QT I just transfer some water and move the established filter over.

If you do not have an established tank to work with that may be a problem. Not sure about everyone else, but I do not keep a QT running all the time. I have a 10g and 20g on stand by that can be operational in about 60-90 minutes if needed.

Also in my QT I go bare bottom with maybe a couple pieces of PVC(for hiding). This way if you ever need to medicate it is more effective.

HTH,

afilter: I left out some details about the QT that I mentioned in a previous post of mine. The short story is that I'm currently setting up my 46g bowfront (pictures, lessons learned to come shortly) right now - picking up live rock from airport on Saturday - and wanted to get a head start on getting the QT going. I figured I could be quarantining the first resident while the main tank is cycling knocking off a few weeks of the main tank sitting empty. Since I'm stocking a new tank I was going to keep the QT running for the next few months as I slowly stocked the main. That's the main reason I'm cycling it at all. After I'm done stocking, I'll break it down. I've got a HOB biowheel on the main tank that I can switch over to the QT and have it ready to go on a moments notice after it gets put out of commission.

austinsdad/afilter: The QT (10g) bottom is bare, with a 3-4 lb chunk of really really dead live rock (which will only stay in the QT), and a couple PVC fittings in there. Planning on keeping it bare in the off chance I have to medicate during QT.

I'm getting psyched now that the live rock is coming. Ordered 65 lbs of cured Kaelini and 15 lbs of cured Marshall for airport to airport delivery on Saturday. Main tank is filled and settling down. I'm getting a handle on where the temps want to be. We had a 1.5hr power outage last night (stupid power company) so I got to test in "real life conditions" my Xantrex PowerSource battery backup for the heaters and powerheads. Worked just fine. (While not a long LONG term power source, for my smallish tank I'm thinking this will keep me running maybe 4-6 hours or so, depending on the heater load.)

More later,
Kurt

bottom is bare, with a 3-4 lb chunk of really really dead live rock (which will only stay in the QT), and a couple PVC fittings in there. Planning on keeping it bare in the off chance I have to medicate during QT.
I would take out the rock. Depending on what meds you use in there may leech into the rock and possibly have a bad reaction with other types of meds....Plus some of those meds will possibly kill the beneficial bacteria/critters on the LR and maybe foul your tank. I would just keep the PVC in there.

Oh yeah. I was thinking main tank. Forgot to look at the thread title. :roll:

I'd leave the rock in there for now until you had to treat with meds.

roka64 said:
I would take out the rock. Depending on what meds you use in there may leech into the rock and possibly have a bad reaction with other types of meds....

Didn't think of the reaction aspect of different meds. Thanks!

If in the event I need to use meds (not planning on it though!) I had planned on taking out the rock anyway. But for now, since it's just a "stocking quarantine", I figured I'd make it a little more like home for the critters. Plus, as mentioned previously by someone else on another thread, I figured it'd give me a better start for the cycle with the biowheel.

Back
Top Bottom