cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

I have started my new 40g reef tank one week ago.
I used 33 lbs of live rock and I also added some fish flake food daily.

Still, I can get no reading of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. How can that be? What can I do?

Thanks!

One week is really not enough time. Give it another week and you`ll start to see it going. It will take about 6-8 weeks to complete. Patience is a virtue.

That much? From what I've been reading I get that it usually takes 4 weeks.

it all depends on the tank. some tanks take a short amount of time, some take longer. dont worry about it. and surely dont try to rush it. just be patient and it will pay off greatly.

Where did you get the rock from? Some rock is so fresh that you won't cycle. All the needed bacteria is already living on it eating up the ammonia.

Where did you get the rock from? Some rock is so fresh that you won't cycle. All the needed bacteria is already living on it eating up the ammonia.

The live rock was from the aquarium of the LFS. So, yes, it was fully cured.
But still... I'm not geting any reading of nitrate. If ammonia and nitrite are being eaten, where is the nitrate?

I'm not the expert on nitrate, but what makes you so sure there should be any? Your tank with live rock out of an already flourishing tank may be stable already - and you're not feeding too much.

Maybe someone can 'splain it to both of us why there isn't any nitrate.

if in a few days there is still no reading, put a raw shrimp or two in there. it will decompose, putting off lots of ammonia and should jumpstart the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom