Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nikki_kaiser said:
It's not. Are you planning any live rock? I would recommend doing that next after the cycle if you are. Since your tank would be cycled, make sure it's cured if you do. Hmmm...take the damsels out prior to the live rock though because they are boogers to catch.

Is there no live rock?

nikki_kaiser said:
Okay...just read again and I don't see mention of any.

That would explain why no nitrates are present without rock where would bb grow ?

danbstrong said:
That would explain why no nitrates are present without rock where would bb grow ?

Well, the live sand would provide a place as well as his filtration. You have to figure that there is some bacteria present otherwise 3 weeks worth of ammonia would of killed off his fish a while back. With all that being said, and while I think it's great that the filter provides a place to grow it, he will not be in a good place if something happened to the filter. Personally, I use my live rock as my main source of bioload and anything else is extra. I don't even have sand in one of my tanks and I don't need it because I have a ton of live rock. If he added it now, with nitrites present he will most likely see a lot of die off. I'm thinking his safest bet is to add base rock while in mid cycle and then cured live rock after its complete.

Al.Ilgaz said:
No live rock, just live sand.

Get some live rock in there before anything else. If you add it after you cycle your gonna create a mini cycle or even a full cycle from die off.

Go shopping and get yourself a few pounds of live rock.

Also on a side bar...

You ALWAYS want to add the live rock first IMHO, if you fish,goby's etc that like to tunnel,burrow whatever you wanna call it your just asking for trouble. When they start to sift the sand your whole scape is gonna shift and can lead to bad things.

Dino

Convict2161 said:
Get some live rock in there before anything else. If you add it after you cycle your gonna create a mini cycle or even a full cycle from die off.

Go shopping and get yourself a few pounds of live rock.

Also on a side bar...

You ALWAYS want to add the live rock first IMHO, if you fish,goby's etc that like to tunnel,burrow whatever you wanna call it your just asking for trouble. When they start to sift the sand your whole scape is gonna shift and can lead to bad things.

Dino

Hmmm...I'm by no means saying you are wrong however I've added live rock long after cycling and have never had any mini cycle or even a spike. Now, with that being said, it was cured and I did scrub it well before putting it in. I also didn't add 30lbs at once. It was more like 10 lbs at a time. Maybe it's because I had some in already with established bioload to handle it. If he is still in cycle, and his bioload is not much, from my experience with friends who added mid cycle, they had some die off if their cured live rock. What if he added base rock with a small amount of live rock? That way he can add surface area, seed the base with additional bacteria, and have minimal die off?

Little less than four weeks, pretty much the same result. Take a look for your self, hopefully I'm not color blind.

image-2463020385.jpg

nikki_kaiser said:
Hmmm...I'm by no means saying you are wrong however I've added live rock long after cycling and have never had any mini cycle or even a spike. Now, with that being said, it was cured and I did scrub it well before putting it in. I also didn't add 30lbs at once. It was more like 10 lbs at a time. Maybe it's because I had some in already with established bioload to handle it. If he is still in cycle, and his bioload is not much, from my experience with friends who added mid cycle, they had some die off if their cured live rock. What if he added base rock with a small amount of live rock? That way he can add surface area, seed the base with additional bacteria, and have minimal die off?

No worries. I meant don't add it after the tank is cycled. At least I wouldn't do it. You are gonna get die off and you "could" cause a mini cycle.

Yes if he added the base rock and live rock it would be better.

In short... IMO don't cycle the tank and then add all your live rock.

Also I would caution the fact that all the sand is in and the rock wasn't first.

Convict2161 said:
No worries. I meant don't add it after the tank is cycled. At least I wouldn't do it. You are gonna get die off and you "could" cause a mini cycle.

Also I would caution the fact that all the sand is in and the rock wasn't first.

Heres another tip since you dont have rock in yet what i did was place eggcrate on bottom it helps hold baserock from sliding and if piece did fall wont damage glass

danbstrong said:
Heres another tip since you dont have rock in yet what i did was place eggcrate on bottom it helps hold baserock from sliding and if piece did fall wont damage glass

Good tip! ^^^^

To the OP, this is worth it IMO.

I have a 55 gallon with

1 Blue Regal Tang
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Three Stripe Convict Damsel
1 Blue Devil Fiji Damsel
2 Scott Damsels
1 Engineer Goby
1 Clown Fish

willbratz said:
I have a 55 gallon with

1 Blue Regal Tang
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Blue Devil Fiji Damsel
2 Scott Damsels
1 Engineer Goby
1 Clown Fish

Oh and a Green Chromi

willbratz said:
I have a 55 gallon with

1 Blue Regal Tang
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Blue Devil Fiji Damsel
2 Scott Damsels
1 Engineer Goby
1 Clown Fish

I'm assuming you started with the damsels, if that's the case, did you do anything special to acclimate the next set of fish after the cycling?

Al.Ilgaz said:
I'm assuming you started with the damsels, if that's the case, did you do anything special to acclimate the next set of fish after the cycling?
Are you going to quarantine them before you add to your tank?

Convict2161 said:

I've added pieces if cured live rock but never over a few pounds at a time plus I cleaned it really well. Now here is a question: if live rock is cured and came from an established tank, and you added 50 lbs to a 50 gallon tank why would you cycle? I've always used base rock with only a little live rock so I'm assuming that's why I did. I just moved all my live rock to my other tank and I have water going in the old one but no rock yet. Hmmm...

nikki_kaiser said:
I've added pieces if cured live rock but never over a few pounds at a time plus I cleaned it really well. Now here is a question: if live rock is cured and came from an established tank, and you added 50 lbs to a 50 gallon tank why would you cycle? I've always used base rock with only a little live rock so I'm assuming that's why I did. I just moved all my live rock to my other tank and I have water going in the old one but no rock yet. Hmmm...[/

I think I am totally confusing myself! See what lack of sleep can do? LOL!

nikki_kaiser said:
I've added pieces if cured live rock but never over a few pounds at a time plus I cleaned it really well. Now here is a question: if live rock is cured and came from an established tank, and you added 50 lbs to a 50 gallon tank why would you cycle? I've always used base rock with only a little live rock so I'm assuming that's why I did. I just moved all my live rock to my other tank and I have water going in the old one but no rock yet. Hmmm...

To answer that question, I you transferred the rock fairly quick from one tank to another, I'd have to bet that your probably not going to see much of a cycle. There will be minimal die off if any at all...

Back
Top Bottom