Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guindoza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

Ive been attempting to cycle for a while and now that Ive moved Ive had to start over. The problem with my move is that the water here has high ammonia and pH. I used the API master testing kit and tested my tap water for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and pH. Ammonia was 1ppm and pH was 8.8ppm. Nitrites and Nitrates were both 0.
So basically Ive been doing water changes and the lowest the ammonia will be is 1ppm and the pH has decreased since I did a 20% water change this morning and is now about 7.4. So something is happening in the tank.
My 2 fantails seem to be coping quite well except when I did the water change and they swam around frantically but they have calmed down now. (At the time I didnt realise what the water readings here were).
So Im just wondering what other people have done in this situation. I do have access to fresh water creeks. Other than that Ive heard that people often go to the supermarket and buy water. And that this is only a major problem during cycling as once the tank is cycled the ammonia will be processed by the biological filter.
I will be moving again in a few months so who knows what kind of water I will be getting then.
Im doing small water changes every couple of days as thats what most people recommend. Also Ive now read that you dont vacuum the gravel while cycling, what do you all recommend?
Hope someone can help :ermm:

You might consider reverse osmosis system and adding minerals back in. I don't think you can have a healthy tank with tap water measuring 1.0 ammonia.

I already add this mineral stuff for goldfish and it increases the water hardness. What would you recommend? Im hoping the town I move to next year doesn't have the same problem.

You would have to check with someone who is currently running an R/O system. I'm one of the very lucky few who don't have to do anything to my municipal water. They don't chlorine or even add fluoride to our water.

Also, it is strange that your pH is changing with water changes. It should be very stable. Perhaps a reading anomaly?

Back
Top Bottom