Dan's First Journal - Iwagumi Style - GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unboxing - January 11, 2013

Guess what! I got my Finnex Ray 2 today! I threw away the package it came in so no "true" unboxing :( But here is the light!

70845e.jpg

35cptmp.jpg

The underside...

1zd0ruo.jpg

5wguvc.jpg

MAN THIS IS BRIGHT!

35iaveh.jpg

sqtem0.jpg

fbky8z.jpg

4jaiqp.jpg

Well, thats all I got today. More to come! Stay tuned.... :D

Looks like you have yourself a very nice blank canvas to create your own masterpiece. Have you been contemplating on some scaping ideas? Can't wait till you get your Seiryu stone.. Their unique shapes should help guide your scape to some ideas.

Congrats on all the new stuff.. Just love unboxings...it's like Xmas all over again! I think the shrimp stratum should be a good idea or even that UP Aqua Soil on GLA's site.

I am a fan of ADA Aquasoil and was just wondering why you justify the cost of Fluval Stratum, but not ADA Aquasoil. From what I have seen, the ADA Aquasoil is cheaper (than the 8.8 pound bag) or hardly more expensive (per unit) and has better reviews than Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

Here is a spreadsheet comparing their unit prices.

I haven't had any issues with FS and didn't require a large amount to achieve what i wanted to do with my nano build. I don't deny the effectiveness of ADA AS, by all means continue being a fan.. I just didn't feel like paying $42.99+ tax at the LFS for 18lbs of ADA AS Amazonia when i can achieve the same thing on my GLA 6g with a 4.4lbs bag of FS to top some cheap but effective Floramax for a mere $12.

In terms of ADA AS, I would say I'm a fan too. I can't deny how well some of these planted tanks look with it on TPT or here like Fort's 12L.

Now on FS, I created a substantial slope on my 6g GLA build and still have FS leftover. So simply buying ADA AS, even if per unit price is comparable, would be just waste for me. I believe since Dan has the same tank as mine, i only suggested an economical route to achieving the desired look. Although i haven't tried ADA AS, I'm quite pleased with FS because my HC has carpeted fine in it and all my stem plants have grown to my liking.

If i had a larger rimless tank (hint: coming in the not so distant future) that required a lot of substrate, i certainly wouldn't overlook ADA AS as an option if my budget permits it and is suitable for my needs (not just to buy and stock a surplus of it). Because we all know how much of a money-pit this hobby can be once you factor EVERYTHING in (e.g. lights, filter, fish, plants, ferts, etc.), I personally find it wise to cut costs where possible.

On a side note, nice compiled spreadsheet on substrate prices.. I think it would be useful to others and it deserves its own thread similar to the LED Lighting Compendium by samamorgan on TPT.

Edit: one other factor that should be brought to light in that data comparison is shipping cost. Even the smallest 3L bag of ADA AS is only $14.95 on ADGshop, but with shipping, to my location, it's about $28 total. Whereas, FS ships free with Amazon Prime... other factors involved here such as local availability vs. having to order online, so mileage may vary with all things considered. SORRY for the long post everyone.. it wasn't a simple answer to my justifications.

I haven't had any issues with FS and didn't require a large amount to achieve what i wanted to do with my nano build. I don't deny the effectiveness of ADA AS, by all means continue being a fan.. I just didn't feel like paying $42.99+ tax at the LFS for 18lbs of ADA AS Amazonia when i can achieve the same thing on my GLA 6g with a 4.4lbs bag of FS to top some cheap but effective Floramax for a mere $12.

In terms of ADA AS, I would say I'm a fan too. I can't deny how well some of these planted tanks look with it on TPT or here like Fort's 12L.

Now on FS, I created a substantial slope on my 6g GLA build and still have FS leftover. So simply buying ADA AS, even if per unit price is comparable, would be just waste for me. I believe since Dan has the same tank as mine, i only suggested an economical route to achieving the desired look. Although i haven't tried ADA AS, I'm quite pleased with FS because my HC has carpeted fine in it and all my stem plants have grown to my liking.

If i had a larger rimless tank (hint: coming in the not so distant future) that required a lot of substrate, i certainly wouldn't overlook ADA AS as an option if my budget permits it and is suitable for my needs (not just to buy and stock a surplus of it). Because we all know how much of a money-pit this hobby can be once you factor EVERYTHING in (e.g. lights, filter, fish, plants, ferts, etc.), I personally find it wise to cut costs where possible.

On a side note, nice compiled spreadsheet on substrate prices.. I think it would be useful to others and it deserves its own thread similar to the LED Lighting Compendium by samamorgan on TPT.

Edit: one other factor that should be brought to light in that data comparison is shipping cost. Even the smallest 3L bag of ADA AS is only $14.95 on ADGshop, but with shipping, to my location, it's about $28 total. Whereas, FS ships free with Amazon Prime... other factors involved here such as local availability vs. having to order online, so mileage may vary with all things considered. SORRY for the long post everyone.. it wasn't a simple answer to my justifications.

I agree that shipping costs can be a huge factor. Where you buy it also makes a huge difference.

Hey guys- I plan to start scaping it next week when I get the stone and the sand I ordered...I was just thinking- should I even use the Eco-Complete and just use the stratum I have? Or do you think have Eco and capping it with the stratum is a good plan? Im not sure what I should do....I didn't want the "cake layer look" you get when you cap something, yet I didn't like the texture of the Eco either, but it seems to have all the nutrients, which is why I woul cap it with the stratum, so i could give the plants a good sunbstrate and then cap it with stratum to make it more appealing...ugh i don't know what I'm going to do. I wanted the AS Amazonia powder type but no one has it :( is it just the same as the shrimp stratum?

Have you tried contacting those retailers to see when they'll get the ADA AS powder type back in stock? It might be worth the wait if you really want that substrate.

Otherwise, in my experience, when i capped my floramax with FS, it doesn't at all look like layered cake. Both substrates are dark and i can hardly tell. Also, i think that since Floramax and EC are lava rocks, they hold a better slope due to the rough friction texture and do less rolling as the pelletized soil. If you don't use the shrimp stratum, you can send it me! Haha

Have you tried contacting those retailers to see when they'll get the ADA AS powder type back in stock? It might be worth the wait if you really want that substrate.

Otherwise, in my experience, when i capped my floramax with FS, it doesn't at all look like layered cake. Both substrates are dark and i can hardly tell. Also, i think that since Floramax and EC are lava rocks, they hold a better slope due to the rough friction texture and do less rolling as the pelletized soil. If you don't use the shrimp stratum, you can send it me! Haha

Yeah- I contacted ADG, AFA, etc. etc. and asked hen they would get it back and no one has replied and I emailed them weeks ago. I even emailed again last week and still. no. answer. Ugh. And I don't know what I will use yet...maybe since I will make my carpet with HC I won't have to see the EC and not use FA anyway and sure I'll send it to you :) lol.

No, stratum isn't the same as aquasoil powder type. Powder type has much smaller grains, almost like sand.

No, stratum isn't the same as aquasoil powder type. Powder type has much smaller grains, almost like sand.

So, would you recommend me to cap the Eco with FS (I am using the shrimp kind) or just use the Shrimp Stratum? or cap the Eco with AS if I can find it or just use AS powder? I want to grow HC and blyxa japonica.

I think if you try to cap EC with ADA AS powder type it will have a similar effect as trying to put sand on top of gravel. It will eventually work its way down below the EC.

If you're going to get the ADA AS powder, why not just use that as the base and top it with Fluval Shrimp Stratum? Just a thought.. Not sure how that would work out. But ADA AS are some of the most nutrient packed substrates you can buy... There's a reason its not cheap and I'm sure your plants will love it once their roots get in to it.

If I can find the AS I will definitely get some, but I got bored so I just threw together a quick little scape 'idea' with the FS...not sure if I like it but I would put a piece of stone on the left side and some b. japonica behind it...the sand will go in the blank area of course and as you can see I just put in the DW for reference...how do you like it?

2zdoaqp.jpg

I've been following this thread for a while now, and though I don't have much to offer as far as advice goes for a tank like this I want to just say that looks really cool, thank you for documenting this and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I've been following this thread for a while now, and though I don't have much to offer as far as advice goes for a tank like this I want to just say that looks really cool, thank you for documenting this and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Well thanks! I FINALLY received an email back from AFA about the AS, they said they should have some in about 10 days. Should I go for it or stick with what I have? I think I am leaning towards the AS, just because it does have all those nutrients and plus it shouldn't be as light as the FS right? I mean it would hold down the HC fairly well. Think we can wait 10 days?

Well thanks! I FINALLY received an email back from AFA about the AS, they said they should have some in about 10 days. Should I go for it or stick with what I have? I think I am leaning towards the AS, just because it does have all those nutrients and plus it shouldn't be as light as the FS right? I mean it would hold down the HC fairly well. Think we can wait 10 days?

I would wait for something you really want, it would suck to have an awesome tank and all you can think about is "what if". And I have tried the FS, didn't even know about the shrimp stratum, but I hated the FS, maybe it just me but it wouldn't hold anything down. I had to use weights and cap it with sand, then when I moved a plant I had little black beads everywhere in my tank.

Yeah just wait..sounds like you really want to use ADA AS anyways. At least you can toy around with some hardscape options, especially when your Seiryu stones arrive.

Well, gosh I don't know. I guess I will wait for the AS, but I'm doing my research on it right now because I need to have a solid substrate plan!

EDIT: I was researching just now and I came across people who say you are supposed to use Normal type amazonia and then add a thin layer of powder amazonia if you are planting small root plants like HC, which in my case, I am. Can I just substitute the normal amazonia with my stratum and cap it with the powder? Or should I just go powder all the way?

Back
Top Bottom