Dark side to Nassarius snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canadian_eh

Aquarium Advice Regular
A little while ago I noticed that all of my spaghetti worms disappeared. There used to be about 10 or so in there and now I can't find a single one. I thought it was my recently added pistol that did it but then last week I cleaned out my canister filter and found a spaghetti worm in there. Of course I dumped him in the tank and within about a minute a nassarius snail grabbed it, chomped it in half and ate it!

Is it normal for these snails to eat live stuff like that or are they just underfed? I have 8 of them in a 25G plus other cleanup crew. I had bought them to help stir the sand.

This may be subjective but there sure does seem that there are a lot less of all types of worms in the sand now as well. I'm really worried that they are eating all other stirring critters.

The reason I wonder about under feeding is that come feeding time everything in the tank goes crazy. The nassarius snails and hermits all come running to the corner where I feed. The cleaner shimp swims aroudn upside down trying to grab as much as possible and my pistol runs around the sand. Also there are always 1 or 2 hermits that climb up the silicone in the corners at the tank and try to eat stuff off the surface. Not sure if they are eating the DOC film or small particles of food but they are always there.

Wow that was suposed to be a quick Q 8O
Thanks for any help
-Ron

I have never heard of Nassarius eating worms but since you saw it happen I guess they do. You may need to throw a few sinking pellets in the tank weekly for your bottom feeders. Do it at night when the fish are asleep.

Sure the worm wasn't on his way out? I've got a ton of nassarius, and a bunch of spaghetti worms. Never had any problems.

what are spaghetti worms? i have theses clear worms that come out at night and really hate the light. they seem to have a central location and then just spread out for up to 6 inches or more away. is this a spaghetti worm?

thanks
steve r

yup, that's them. You'll see them pull sand bits, and they use it to extend their little tube. Occasionally they'll grab a piece of silverside that I put in for the shrimp, but the shrimp usually steal it.

Good idea with the sinking pellets at night. I havn't done that before...just let them fend for themselves.

The only other thing that I know of in the tank that may have eaten them is the pistol? I know mine is pretty agressive as he always comes out with claws up and open when I put my hand near the bottom of the tank

Back
Top Bottom