Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ryan-peddle said:
Yeah when you order online it helps get what you want and not just because they have it

But it's always nice coming home with a new frag that day :)

Well yesterday I ordered a bunch of ricordea's ( my favorites ).... When I transferred all the rocks from one tank to the other a couple of weeks ago alot of the mushrooms where kinda dispersed in the rearrangement of the rocks into the new tank,. ,however,.. I did find some long lost forgotten singles that kinda floated away and disappeared into the rockscape months ago,..So I'm thinking that illl try and get a ricordea colony attached to a rock as a mushroom focal point somewhere in this new new tank setup.,hopefully they'll find their new home inviting and will live a long and prosperous life.

Maya said:
Looks absolutely phenomenal dary! Keep us posted on the changes. It's becoming a real show stopper.

Maya ,..thank you but,...I really wouldn't go that far!! ..It's really just a work in progress, some good and some bad,...the real difference between this tank and the old 75 is that this tank ( hopefully) will be setup for a long time to come and the 75 was a learning platform to find out if I had the determination and will to keep and maintain a marine tank.., well, I've never looked back,..I truly love the everyday challenge of trying to do everything right.
I gotta pick my brother Al up at the airport in a couple of hours ( visit from Florida ) so I thought I'd leave a little early and swing by my lfs ( about a mile and a half from airport ) and check out a few pieces of man made rocks they have and maybe look at the frags.
I haven't seen al since Maui 2010 so I'm kinda excited about the whole thing,..and yes Ryan ,..there's plenty of cold ones in the refrig in case you wanna drop by ,...thanks again maya ,..you're the best.

Dary421 said:
Maya ,..thank you but,...I really wouldn't go that far!! ..It's really just a work in progress, some good and some bad,...the real difference between this tank and the old 75 is that this tank ( hopefully) will be setup for a long time to come and the 75 was a learning platform to find out if I had the determination and will to keep and maintain a marine tank.., well, I've never looked back,..I truly love the everyday challenge of trying to do everything right.
I gotta pick my brother Al up at the airport in a couple of hours ( visit from Florida ) so I thought I'd leave a little early and swing by my lfs ( about a mile and a half from airport ) and check out a few pieces of man made rocks they have and maybe look at the frags.
I haven't seen al since Maui 2010 so I'm kinda excited about the whole thing,..and yes Ryan ,..there's plenty of cold ones in the refrig in case you wanna drop by ,...thanks again maya ,..you're the best.

Good man Dary always looking out for me lol

Just upgraded my LEDs. Now running a center panel at 300watts and two side panels at 130watts each. Total of 560 watts on a 250gallon reef that is 34" deep. 12,000K and 454nm blues. Lots 'o light. But it is an example of how many watts are really needed to get the light values up to what I had with a 400watt MH and two 250watt MH with 80watts of actinic. About 2:1 for SPS corals when compared to MH.

How are your LEDs doing now that you have had them a while?

Gregcoyote said:
Just upgraded my LEDs. Now running a center panel at 300watts and two side panels at 130watts each. Total of 560 watts on a 250gallon reef that is 34" deep. 12,000K and 454nm blues. Lots 'o light. But it is an example of how many watts are really needed to get the light values up to what I had with a 400watt MH and two 250watt MH with 80watts of actinic. About 2:1 for SPS corals when compared to MH.

How are your LEDs doing now that you have had them a while?
Greg,..I'm no where near your level in understanding this whole lighting issue.., BUT,.. From what I've seen in MY tank , everything ( knock on wood ) seems to be doing very well,.. As long as everything seems to be growing and looks great I'm happy .( I can always add another fixture or two later if need be ) ,..but for now,..alls well.
I Just got in my new little batch of ricordeas and I added them to the rock work,...one cool thing though,..a couple of my lavender hairy mushrooms have started to split,...so cool to see happening.
I did get a little bird ness frag along with the Ricordeas,.so along with the frags I got the other day,..I think I'm set for awhile,..time to kick back and watch things unfold and see what happens.
By the sounds of your LED's ,..that must be generating an awesome amount of light,...I kinda like having my tank a little on the dark side,..I have my blues cranked up and my white turned down,...so far ,...no complaints. ..looks very nice,..at least to me and by George ,..it's MY tank.

You bet. Everybody has different tastes for sure. I was just wondering as I just set up our LFS with her first LED lit tank. I think the only proof they are as good as we think they are is watching corals growing with your own eyes. I just want to stimulate my SPS with more light and shorter duration. See what happens.

Started this week mixing my own 2 part cal/alk solution when I filled a trash bag with old B-Ionic bottles. Kinda late to the party...but the ingredients are all at Bulk Reef Supply and with a big tank, that stuff adds up. I feel like I am back in chemistry class. Love your tank, looking forwards to seeing the new anex.

Saw a Picasso Trigger at the LFS and while feeding him, he spit at me! Love those fish, but he likes to bite.

It's been a few days so I thought 1'd show you what's going on in the 135 ..., I think the first picture should be of the way the tank had looked a few days ago.., I decided ( months ago ) that I was going to build myself a couple of plateaus in the new tank so off to the lfs to get a bunch of man made rocks to accomplish this.., some where in the pictures that I downloaded should be a picture or two of plateau #1. ... In real life it looks pretty cool with its flat top.., I'll be building another plateau to the far rights side of the tank tomorrow when another lfs adventure takes place with some more man made rocks and more epoxy putty is bought,...the other pictures are of some f the new additions I got last week or so of the ricordeas and a umbrella mushroom and a chilli coral etc.
There's also a picture of one of the hairy mushroom that had split ,...a few days ago this was only a single mushroom ., it took about two days to fully split into two ,... Pretty cool to watch.,...now if I could only get my ricordeas to do the same,..but I understand they grow very slowly and it'll probably be awhile,...I'll more that likely ordering some more in the near future.
Hope the pictures turn out ok for you..., Dary

Attachments

• image-519207872.jpg
    image-519207872.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2929192314.jpg
    image-2929192314.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3804436103.jpg
    image-3804436103.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2406555816.jpg
    image-2406555816.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-4042383349.jpg
    image-4042383349.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2332790487.jpg
    image-2332790487.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1436849762.jpg
    image-1436849762.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 102
  • image-251390071.jpg
    image-251390071.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3365261106.jpg
    image-3365261106.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1997673639.jpg
    image-1997673639.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image-4255190111.jpg
    image-4255190111.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 125
Looks real nice. Glad stuff is growing for you. Are you using any artificial rock. I bought some to frag corals on the other day and didn't like it until it was in the tank awhile, now it looks identical to the other rocks.

Gregcoyote said:
Looks real nice. Glad stuff is growing for you. Are you using any artificial rock. I bought some to frag corals on the other day and didn't like it until it was in the tank awhile, now it looks identical to the other rocks.

Greg.., I actually have probably 40-50 pounds of it in the tank right now,...once you mix it in with your regular rock it just blends right in,...the best part is that there's no cycling it,.. Just put'er in and away you go,. My lfs has regular live rock from $ 4.99 to $ 6.99 a pound depending on the variety ,..this man made rock is $5.99 a pound.
I'm really starting to like the mix of the two,.... Looking towards to getting started on the next plateau.

Looking great Dary. What is the coral in pic #6? I had one looked just like it but it wasn't attached to the frag plug very well. I think one of my emerald crabs ripped it the rest of the way off. I saw it lying on the sand bed and before I could get it, somebody decided to drag it under my rock and I have never seen it again. I want to get another one.

rdnelson99 said:
Looking great Dary. What is the coral in pic #6? I had one looked just like it but it wasn't attached to the frag plug very well. I think one of my emerald crabs ripped it the rest of the way off. I saw it lying on the sand bed and before I could get it, somebody decided to drag it under my rock and I have never seen it again. I want to get another one.

Thank you,..it's a yellow and blue ricordea mushroom ,. Just for information down the road ,.you can always dab a drop of super glue gel on their back side and reattach them again...

Dary421 said:
It's been a few days so I thought 1'd show you what's going on in the 135 ..., I think the first picture should be of the way the tank had looked a few days ago.., I decided ( months ago ) that I was going to build myself a couple of plateaus in the new tank so off to the lfs to get a bunch of man made rocks to accomplish this.., some where in the pictures that I downloaded should be a picture or two of plateau #1. ... In real life it looks pretty cool with its flat top.., I'll be building another plateau to the far rights side of the tank tomorrow when another lfs adventure takes place with some more man made rocks and more epoxy putty is bought,...the other pictures are of some f the new additions I got last week or so of the ricordeas and a umbrella mushroom and a chilli coral etc.
There's also a picture of one of the hairy mushroom that had split ,...a few days ago this was only a single mushroom ., it took about two days to fully split into two ,... Pretty cool to watch.,...now if I could only get my ricordeas to do the same,..but I understand they grow very slowly and it'll probably be awhile,...I'll more that likely ordering some more in the near future.
Hope the pictures turn out ok for you..., Dary

The tank looks great, (y).

Thank you,..it's a yellow and blue ricordea mushroom ,. Just for information down the road ,.you can always dab a drop of super glue gel on their back side and reattach them again...

That is exactly what I was planning but I didn't have any on hand. I figured it would be ok laying on the sand bed overnight and I would do it the next day. WRONG!!!

TLTGF said:
Everything is looking great!

Thank you and red sea too,...hopefully ,everything will acclimate to their new home and will continue to grow,.. Heck,I'm doing my part,..now it's their tun.

Kind of a strange thing happened yesterday while feeding my fish,... All the fish were eating and acting normally when suddenly one of my triggers immediately started acting blizzar as if it swallowed an air bubble or something,..he immediately tried to swim to the bottom of the tank to hide in the rocks,... He was having a heck of a time swimming normally and surely was under a lot of discomfort,...I watched him for awhile and started to wonder if he was going to make it or not,..... I decided to net him ,.normally trying to net a trigger would take about two hours and a six pack but I got him in about 5 seconds.
I transferred him into my refugium for observation ,...this morning before work ( 2 am ) he was sleeping but still alive,..by the time I came home from work he was fine and dandy so I transferred him back into the main tank. ,you would never know nothing ever happened with him as he's totally back to being himself again.
Has anybody ever experienced anything like this??? The whole transformation from good to bad was like a second or two,...my gut feeling was that he swallowed some air ( feeding on the surface ) and had to wait for it to pass,... Really strange but all's good now!!!

Last edited:
Thankyou Buffy ., alot has happened recently in both my little world and my tanks world.., to spare everyone of my personal misfortunes we'll talk about my little tank and it's world... Sometimes when something happens personally in which there seems to be no reasonable solution one must find ways to detour the hurt and sorrow , soooooo I have been rather busy entertaining my brother al and his visit from Florida ( left today) and buying corals.., lots of corals !!! I decided that I wanted to make a mini plateau( #4 )for my tank so off to the Lfs after work I went., so a few pieces of man made rock , a couple of pieces of fiberglass rods and a little epoxy putty and poof there's my new mini plateau.., i decided I'd just let it dry in this gorgeous San Diego sun before putting it into the tank,
I should be getting my new coral shipment in prob tues so I'll post some pictures after that... Yep., got some more mushrooms along with another hammer wall coral etc.... Also bought a couple of mangrove roots for the refugium to try out.., I think Carey has some but not too sure on that., all in all that's the latest update

Attachments

• image-2050550991.jpg
    image-2050550991.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom