Dead mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FuzzyRag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, are there any water parameters that kill mystery snails? I've had 2 pass on in 3 days, just trying to find out what range my tests should be in for them to keep going.

water params should be kept normal(i.e., NH3=0,NO3=0,NO2=40ppm or less), high ammonia will kill the little guys quick. they can usually sustain pretty good in all types of water cloudy, dirty, still, or moving(they will spend most of there time not in the current though)a simple way to tell if u are having water troubles is to jus' "Watch". They will all start heading to the top of the tank(water line mainly). what are the parameters? what is the size of the tank, what else do u have in it? if u find your water to be extremely harmful(as it might be considering u killed 2 already) u should do atleast a 30%pwc. also is the tank cycled? how long have u had it?

If there is something wrong with the water chemistry in a tank, particularly an ammonia reading or very high nitrates, the snails will go to the waterline and stay there. If you knock one off, it will go right back to the top.

Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Ammonia should be zero, nitrite should be zero, nitrate should be 40 or under (less is much better) and pH should be above 7.3-ish for them to have healthy shells-a pH of 8 is even better.

We tend to think of snails are very hardy when the reality is that they are actually quite sensitve. The "waterline beeline" described about is absolutely true. They will also sometimes "close up shop" and slam themselves tightly inside their shells if something is amiss.
They're also not very fond of high (82+) water temperatures - I lost a few when I had to treat the tank for ich. If I had known I would have moved them to another tank :(

Back
Top Bottom