December 21, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know everyone has a different idea on this but I wanted to hear what everyone thinks of "The End is Nigh" theory for the Mayan calendar, seeing as this is the year everyone's been talking about for awhile. Lol. Thought it would be fun. Here goes my theory on it.
I think the worlds magnetic field will do a flip flop due to the earths magnetic strength being in a waning period allowing more solar energy to penetrate the earths atmosphere (the poles have flipped before in instances like this apparently or so the scientists say), this could lead to a possible reversal in the rotation of the earths core causing floods of biblical proportions (think momentum of oceans going one way and the core trying to slow and pull earth the other way takes time tho) also with the increased solar activity and decreased magnetic field (which this year has been having some of the biggest solar flares on record) the power grid of earth is going to be fried (this part not foreseen by Mayans, more so due to technology being sensitive to magnetics)! This has happened in Canada because of solar flares I believe so it's possible! Lol.
This is just my pessimistic theory. I'm more in line with thinking everything will be fine. Poke holes in my theory and tell me your own!

As I understand it, daylight savings time was not around during that time, thus was not factored in to this date. Whether or not they were correct, I won't comment on...

I'd like to add that this discussion needs to remain free of any religous discussion. Please don't comment if you're going to bring religion in to this, as religion is a very very controversial topic for some, and we don't want any flaming or hurt feelings here. If anyone does begin discussing religion, the thread will be instantly closed.

Yea it was to my understanding that the actual "doomsday" was 700 some odd days ago... Due to again, in part of daylight savings.

mfdrookie516 said:
As I understand it, daylight savings time was not around during that time, thus was not factored in to this date. Whether or not they were correct, I won't comment on...

I'd like to add that this discussion needs to remain free of any religous discussion. Please don't comment if you're going to bring religion in to this, as religion is a very very controversial topic for some, and we don't want any flaming or hurt feelings here. If anyone does begin discussing religion, the thread will be instantly closed.

I agree with the religion statement so lets assume all religious end of world scenarios have been argued. This thread is specifically about the possible "scientific" end of day scenarios that you see to be most likely of all the 2012 arguments you've heard.

As for your daylight savings time argument I'd like to hear more on this because DST is only a recent thing so I don't believe it would have affected the date by much more than an hour either way and some parts of the world and parts of the US even don't use DST. I would like to hear more so please elaborate.

I think it was leap years. Either way, if the world does end this year I am going to be very ticked off that I wasted most of my last 5 years on earth getting a college degree that I won't be able to use due to the whole no more world thing.

TankMan said:
....... Or was it leap years? Lol :confused:

Haha ya it is confusing. But I think that the Mayans had a few different callendars one was a 260 day callendars and one was a 365 day calendar. But you also have to note that the Mayans constantly calculated and tracked their days by the stars and planets and sun and just because we didn't know of the leap year doesn't mean they didn't. They figured out the earth went around the sun every 365 so I am going to assume they knew. And besides this is about "what ifs" lol so theorize!

Alyxx said:
I think it was leap years. Either way, if the world does end this year I am going to be very ticked off that I wasted most of my last 5 years on earth getting a college degree that I won't be able to use due to the whole no more world thing.

Agreed! Lol

That's right... too late for me to think straight. I think I read somewhere that based on the mayan calendar, that date was several years down the road with leap year.

I think its a load of bull lol plus there was a new discovery earlier this year. I don't remember what it was but I think it disproved the theory.

mfdrookie516 said:
That's right... too late for me to think straight. I think I read somewhere that based on the mayan calendar, that date was several years down the road with leap year.

I think it was earlier this year, actually.

Either way, I think it's bull. The Mayans made a few calendars, and 2012 just marks the end of the last one they made. It was meant to mark the end of some era, not the end of the world. Honestly, I believe that if the Mayan civilization lasted longer than it did, we would have yet another calendar that picked up where this one left off. Perhaps there is some half finished one somewhere that we haven't found yet. I do think that it is amazing that they were able to create such an accurate calendar with the technology they had, though. I don't think we give ancient civilizations as much credit as they are due.

paytertot said:
I think its a load of bull lol plus there was a new discovery earlier this year. I don't remember what it was but I think it disproved the theory.

Yes I remember this. It was something about they deciphered something that showed part of the calendar after 2012. This is a hypothetical discussion for the most part but also is like to point out that the Mayans never actually said that the world would end on 2012 just that a great earth cycle would end (ex. The passing of the last ice age. ) They have many earth cycles in their calendar. All of them are thousands of years long. This is just the end of the one we are in.

Perhaps it's the end of global warming... lol. I guess I'll just say that I'm not a believer in the world ending. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, well... I'll just keep on keepin on.

Lol I don't really believe in "global warming" in the way most people think of it, but I do believe the earth goes through natural cycles of hot and cold.

I wonder if any agencies are monitoring the potential for/preparing to prevent mass suicide events. They seem increasingly possible given the apparent strain of living and hopelessnes of the masses.

It better not because I'm looking forward to the growth on my Ludwigia.... Ha!

mfdrookie516 said:
Perhaps it's the end of global warming... lol. I guess I'll just say that I'm not a believer in the world ending. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, well... I'll just keep on keepin on.

Please let it be the end of global warming! More because I'm tired of hearing about it and I don't believe it. Silly to think humans have had more effect on the atmosphere than all the volcanoes and cow pies combined! Lol ;) but seriously tho. The president of the weather channel said GW was the biggest load of dung he ever heard of. That is good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom