Deer Horns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if it was possible to use blacktail deer horns to decorate a tank? if so what would the preparations be to make it safe?

Just bleach them to make sure anything nasty is off of there and then then use some dechlor a couple of times to make it safe. Or you could just give it a good scrub down using just water. I think that will look awesome make sure you post some pictures

sweet! im excited now i have so many at my parents house.
However other sites have said it may not be safe cause of a possible raise in ph? what do you all think?

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago and was told that as the horns/bones degrade, it could change the water chemistry.
I thought about trying to completely seal it with an aquarium safe epoxy but never followed through with it.

I'm far from an expert on adding bones, however, I have heard from more than one knowledgeable person that they will release too much calcium into the water. Please doublecheck before you do this.

Maybe you could paint them with a clear aquarium safe shellac of some kind.

I do agree that it would look fantastic!

I did a google search and on some other aquarium forums other people have used them in their tank with no problems at all. All they did was boil and clean them before inserting into the tank.

Horn and bone will "dissolve" and raise the ph slightly. If you are set on using them I would recommend sealing them with a aquarium safe epoxy and cleaning them very well.

the horns arnt like dry coral or bone they are much more solid and take alot longer to disolve so they wont bring the ph up a noticeable amount if you do regualar water changes... but you could clear coat them to be 100% safe

Back
Top Bottom