Definitely screwed... I think anyway.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys, well I think I'm screwed. Remember the Emp I ordered? Well it came today and it is amazing! So hardy looking, an excellent eater even during acclimation he was trying to snack on the box I was acclimating it in rofl. Gorgeous colored and just looks so beautiful. For anyone wondering if they should order from Saltwaterfish.com I say go for it, I want to wait a couple days and see how the Emp will do before I pass final judgement, but so far it's doing so great. I love my Emp so much! :)

Anyway on to the part about being screwed....
The Emp is even smaller then I expected it to be. I expected three inches and this little guy must not go over 2 inches. I honestly think my Sunset Wrasse will eat him, how could he not? He goes after my snails and live small feeders I feed him. I decided to skip the quarentine tank, so the Emp is living in the empty refugium compartment for now. I threw some live rock in there and he seems to be very happy.

So what are my options? Can I let the Emp live in my refugium until he grows up a bit bigger? Or is that a bad idea? He has about 10 gallons worth of swimming space. Otherwise I think my Wrasse is going to have a $100 lunch.

Here are pics just so you can see the size difference between these guys:
What do you guys say? Should I give it a try with the Wrasse or can I let the Emp live in the refugium for a while and get bigger?

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 92
That's a shame. Wish I knew what to say. I can say you have a beautiful fish though. Shame he might have to be hidden from the wrasse.

stratmaster, Can you catch the wrasse. He would fair better in the Refugium. I would put him there and give the Emp. the DT and more room to grow faster and become the Boss of that tank.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to set up another tank. :D If I were you, I'd let him stay in the refugium for a while. The fuge may be small, but it's a lot more enjoyable to take care of a cramped fish than an eaten fish.

Na the wrasse is to big for the refugium, not to mention I'd feel bad about taking him out and he's been whole cheese for three years. I'm just gonna let the emp live in the refugium for a while and get bigger, he seems pretty happy in there. When he gets big enough I'll move him up to the main tank. I put some LR in there for him to snack on and he's already being a great eater. I think I got a good one i just need a name now! I can't wait until he starts transforming.

Steve

I would say that you have a dilemma thats for sure. What i would do, i have no clue, but nice fish though.

Well, if you had qt'd the fish you could have also used that tank to grow the fish out along with any medicating. Would have solved both problems for the time being, even if the fish had to stay in holding for several months. Other than taking the wrasse out, you really don't have much of a choice and there probably will be some aggression so watch very carefully. If you can, you can halve the tank by creating an eggcrate barrier...if possible.

get a 20 gallon tank.. put a return pump and use the DT tank to filter out the 20g tank... it would be a porta sump lol after your done with the tank... you can just use it for whatever you would like to =P

Now that's (eggcrate) something I did not think of. Great idea and you can still grow stuff on the eggcrate to. Great project IMO.

get a 20 gallon tank.. put a return pump and use the DT tank to filter out the 20g tank... it would be a porta sump lol after your done with the tank... you can just use it for whatever you would like to =P

I am really confused by that statement rofl, I think I might just section off a 20 gallon portion of the tank and see how the Wrasse does aggression wise with the Emp. If he charges the acyrlic section then I know I'm in trouble! Or maybe he'll have no interest.

Or maybe the Wrasse will ACT like he has no interest just so I'll pull the panel out so he can have dinner haha.

What about putting in another fish at the same time so he can't concentrate on one target? Like putting in a big tang or something?

Steve

What about putting in another fish at the same time so he can't concentrate on one target? Like putting in a big tang or something?

Steve

This just sound like a big pot of trouble soup. I would be cautious about doing this, VERY CAUTIOUS. I would probally go with the 20g idea or the seperating the tankk off with a eggcrate or something.

MLG's idea is not bad if you have the space. You would run the 20g in series after your sump and before it returns to your DT. It would be like running two sumps. One regular and one dedicated to your Emperor Angelfish. the only thing you would need is a way of getting water from the sump to the 20. Move the return pump from the sump to the 20g and return water to your DT from the 20g.

I like the 20 gal tank idea, when your done with it you could use it as a fuge if you dont already have one. Just throw some lights over it add some macro alage

Well that's where the Emp is living now in my refugium, but this post is basically pointless I did here now seeing as the Wrasse is not nearly as aggressive as I thought he would be with those two tangs I just added. It's just going to take time for the Emp to grow and eventually he will be able to go into the big tank :)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom