Demasoni Cichlid.... community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I already know the answer to this but I remain in denial until it is reitirated here. I really love this cichlid it is absolutely gorgeous. It doesn't get too big, so I was wondering about how it would fare in a pair in a 29G with some cories and maybe something else if possible.

I have been leaning towards some rams for my tank but I think this is a lot prettier and I would absolutely love to have a pair in my tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+831+1663&pcatid=1663

Thoughts? TIA

Last edited:
if you read the "quick stats" on that page it says minimum tank size is 50 gallons and they get up to 5 inches. maybe not the best choice. gorgeous fish though

yeah i saw that. that site always suggests much larger tanks sometimes; but they probably would get too big. if i had them it would have to be them and the cories. :/ . I think it's funny I was looking at some other cichlid that got up to 6" (dont remember which one) but it said min tank size was 30 gallons. I thought that was kind of odd lol.

nope... wont work, those are some mean little fish. Even if they were compatable with corys, a 29g is too small IMO, and if you only got two, you'd be down to one in no time

****it lol. I guess they will have to wait until I have my gazillion gallon tank that i can have any kind of fish in lol (in my dreams)

yeah i saw that. that site always suggests much larger tanks sometimes; but they probably would get too big. if i had them it would have to be them and the cories. :/ . I think it's funny I was looking at some other cichlid that got up to 6" (dont remember which one) but it said min tank size was 30 gallons. I thought that was kind of odd lol.

there is more to consider than size... just like zebra danios. Sure they're small and are not cramped at all in a 10g, but they like to swim, alot. Most all africans require alot of swimming room. They're very active fish

Those guys dont even like to be with eachother...hahaha i say that with jest but they are seriously mean dudes and ive seen that first hand

I think this all depends. I have kept Tropheus in small numbers (5) and kept Demasoni in small numbers as well with very good results. No deaths and constant spawning.

It can be done. One of the best looking fish specie I think.
Here is a pic of mine:

I don't think a pair will work in a 29 gallon either. Like Jonathan says, they are active and swim pretty fast. I've seen them zip all around a 150 gallon tank. Aggressive fish are even more aggressive in small tanks, as their competition for territory is intensified. I definitely wouldn't put them in with community fish.

i dunno about the min size tank cause really...5inches can fit well in a 40g long tank which is basically 48inches... and in a 30g tank which is 36inches long lol... so i dont really see why you cant fit at least 1 cichlid in, liveaquaria sort of over exaggerates on the min size requirement IMO

i know they swim pretty actively, but still, 7x times the body length is more than enough room i believe

Fish defend their territory and will chase an intruder a certain length. A study by Mark Young has proven that Tropheus chase roughly 6 foot.

I imagine this is also true for Demasoni's. You have a small tank with 2 or 4 fish and the dominant male will constantly be defending the territory. Chasing and harassing which will result in stress = death at some point. Thats the reason most people overstock their tanks in order to spread the aggression.

Not to mention they have different water and food needs than Cories. :)

Stick with the Rams....you could do Blue, Gold or Bolivians....or if you want to branch out a bit maybe a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides.

i dunno about the min size tank cause really...5inches can fit well in a 40g long tank which is basically 48inches... and in a 30g tank which is 36inches long lol... so i dont really see why you cant fit at least 1 cichlid in, liveaquaria sort of over exaggerates on the min size requirement IMO

i know they swim pretty actively, but still, 7x times the body length is more than enough room i believe

Yes I thought this before as well, but as someone in a different thread posted on this topic they need room to swim and explore. It isn't about if you can fit them per say, but about giving them enough room to imitate their natural habitats. I still think LA exaggerates a tad bit, but I try to respect the min. tank size

Back
Top Bottom