DeNitrate users? Other Nitrate removing media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for something to lighten the load. My tank is overstocked (not going to change, that's how I like it) and I usually do a 50% water change once, or twice a week depending on amount of feeding, I keep my Nitrates under 20ppm. Anyway, I put a new filter on another tank (API Super clear 50) and it advertises that it removes Nitrates. So far it has been true, I have yet to see a reading above 5ppm even though at one point Nitrites were going up 2-3 points a day.
I read a little about DeNitrate, does anyone use this? Or is there another media that I should look into. I run 2 box filters (Fluval Aquaclear 70 and a Marineland Penquin 200 with Biowheel) as well as two sponge air filters.
Thanks.

Google or youtube algae scrubbers. They are used to remove nitrAte in the aquarium and are quite easy to make (and hide) in an aquarium.

All I could find was glass cleaners, is that what you mean? Like the literal algae scrubber used to take algae off the glass because I have that, and use it all the time.

All I could find was glass cleaners, is that what you mean? Like the literal algae scrubber used to take algae off the glass because I have that, and use it all the time.

Here is a basic example. I've done one in a black plastic box on my black background and is was very minimally visible.

I like that a lot. More of a permanent solution. The only issue I see is the lighting, but I could actually grow that out in another tank and then move it. I have really good lighting on my tank, but it all comes from the top. Thanks a bunch.

I usually let the algae grow on the back wall, blends right into my new background, just looks like moss covered rocks. Will the use of a UV filter ruin this plan?

How hard is to set up a sump? I have a ten gallon I'm not using anymore. I was going to use it as a receiving tank, but I'm not really planning on getting anymore fish anytime soon. Would a ten gallon be big enough to sump a 55 gallon?

I might try one of those in the meantime. I was thinking about designs for an algae scrubber.

I was thinking of doing a box with like 3-4 vertical knitting pads, and an air stone running across them perpendicular, put the opening of the box at the very bottom of the tank, clearing out all the sand, and then putting a lamp underneath the tank in the stand, so inside the tank would just look like a small box with bubbles coming out of the top.

Something like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397673224.942165.jpg
The bottom of the tank is clear, the stand just fits around the outside, so there's nothing in the way of the bottom. My Snow White will actually dig to the glass sometimes and the light shines through into the stand.

UV sterilizers will only kill free floating algae that causes green water algae blooms.

Back
Top Bottom