Desktop Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a 3 gal tank that i want to put on my desk in my office, but im not sure on what to stock it with. i was thinking about maybe 3-4 guppys?

i wont be able to have any live plants in there. i have a mini filter i have already ran in one of my healthy tanks for over 3 weeks already. but here is my concern, i dont have a heater for them yet. will guppys do ok in room temp?

if you get guppies make sure they all are males because they will reproduce like crazy, IMO. maybe you could get a betta or another small fish that will do ok by itself.

HTH

Kyle

I say go for the betta as well... they "adore" their owners... I like to think so anyways ;) Our 1st lived over 4yrs in his desk top tank.

Before to add a cave area... they love them .... Bio betta pellets are great! Walmart now stocks them, they don't and muck up your water either.

i keep my betta in my 29 gal. i would rather keep smaller fish like guppys than a bigger body beta in a small 3.5 gal.. thanks though

i ended up getting 3 females and 1 male. they all seem to be doing fine, i let them acclimate double the time i usually do, hopefully they will do fine without a heater, it's pretty comfortable here in the office @ about 77' i brought from home a little bit of gravel along with a seeded mini filter

lol this istrue guppys breed liek crazy, like mollies do, if you go to wwww.that fishplace.com they havea small submersible heater for 2- 5 gallon tanks that is $ 8.99 and $7.29 for shipping, it would be well worth the money since its such a small tank and this heater is made for those size tanks, Also I beleieve wal mart has a small heater for 2-5 gallon tanks for $6.97 thats submersible, hope this helps, oh and you could prolly keep them in the water for a few days without a heater but at night when the lights go out the water temp might drop to much

StngStr said:
hope your coworkers all have tanks to put the guppy fry in!

when they start coming, i'll start bringing home the fry to feed to my south/central american cichlids, and the ones that make the cut will go into one of my other live bearer tanks

StngStr said:
hope your coworkers all have tanks to put the guppy fry in!

when they start coming, i'll start bringing home the fry to feed to my south/central american cichlids, and the ones that make the cut will go into one of my other live bearer tanks

right, i looked into those but for some reason i wasnt able to find nice purebred Endlers, all the lfs that i saw that had them, looked like they were a guppy cross, they were way too big to be pure..

I keep Endler's in a 5g and they do breed like crazy too. Other things I would suggest are cherry shrimp, a killi pair, or even Neolamprologus multifasciatus.

Back
Top Bottom