Diary of the 10G GBR/Bolivian Grow-Out Tank w/pics 7/22/06..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...okay, Mine seem to like to hide and sleep in the cabomba forrest on the right side of the tank.....I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Keep us updated on the prgress of your fry. What are you going to do with all these little honey's? Looks like you might have hit the jackpot!

Not sure what I'm going to do with them. I know the lfs here will take them, said they would buy them from me. But I need to keep a few females, so I can start a larger operation, lol.

One thing a found out is that it is easy to under count. They are so small and are not moving right away. Once they start swimming, I bet your count will hit 150...if you can even count them!

We'll see when it comes time, lol. Never shipped fish before and not sure what I need. I see they now have breather bags, where it keeps water in but yet provides O2 through the bag?

As for the count, I think 150 is a bit low, lol. Wouldn't be suprised if it was 250. LOL But the biggest portion is the Bolivians, as I know I didn't get a lot of GBR eggs, maybe 50, and not all hatched.

New update...

Still got a bunch of wigglers, sure takes them long to get rid of the egg sack, lol. But I'm getting more free-swimmers as well. Was only a few, now maybe a dozen or a little more. :)

Edit.....

Should have checked the tank when I got home from work before I posted. Went from maybe a dozen or so this morning to about 3 dozen now, lol. Talk about awsome, lol.

Edit:

More pics everyone.....

10g14.jpg

10g15.jpg

10g16.jpg

Way kewl Lonewolfblue ... Congrats!
I'm so proud of your babies.! Yes, and you for helping them achieve successful fry.

8O That's a nice swarm of babies you got there!

I was wondering, are you able to tell the difference between the GBR fry and the Bolivian fry? Or do they all just look the same?

They all look the same. The only ones that I know are bolivians are the wigglers still with egg sacks on them. But the free-swimmers, can't tell the difference yet.

Nightly update. Did a 20% PWC. All's well. There are so many little swimmers, lol. They mostly swim down low, so when I removed water, I just used a pitcher and skimmed water off the surface, then let the HOB output fill up my pitcher when the water was low enough. Didn't do much of a cleaning though, will wait til the weekend for that, on Sunday. Will get the turkey baster and do some extra bottom cleaning.

As for the plants, they seem to be doing pretty good. The water sprite must have needed a little acclimation time, as I was just looking at it and it was pearling. And I'm not injecting CO2 not have high lighting. Just dosing a tad bit of Excel every couple days. Other than that, all's starting to look really good. :)

Also, after looking over the little swimmers, I'm beginning to see more internal body organs as well, and more of the swimmers skin is slowly becoming more non-transparent. And they are very, very active. For a first time experience, it's has been totally stunning so far. :)

Fantastic news! Glad everything is going well, especially with the fry.

Hopefully when I get some rams they'll breed. I have an extra 10g just for that purpose. Sell some off, give some as gifts, and keep some for more breeding.

Burks said:
Fantastic news! Glad everything is going well, especially with the fry.

Hopefully when I get some rams they'll breed. I have an extra 10g just for that purpose. Sell some off, give some as gifts, and keep some for more breeding.

Well, someone may need to give me gifts of some free 10G tanks, lol. Kidding, lol. Just for your info, I think I'm going to need at least 2 more 10G tanks, if not 20G's. I have a ton of fry, and the GBR's look ready to drop more eggs, lol. How do you tell them to stop for a couple more weeks? LOL.

Edit:
Just another question here. when it comes time, what is a good age where you can start selling or shipping babies? Or to the lfs?

Update:

Ordered a double 10G tank stand from Foster and Smith, as well as a few other items. Things are looking good, except for the algae, lol. Also getting some diatoms, as usual in a new tank. But other than that, all's looking good, and all the babies are free-swimming. It's hard getting pics except for the ones in one particualr spot in the tank. So here's some new pics.

10g17.jpg

10g18.jpg

10g19.jpg

10g20.jpg

Good pics considering they are so tiny:)
And it never hurts two have two extra tanks for them to grow out in :wink:
Have you considered setting up a tropical pond in your house for them to grow out in? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom