Diary of the 10G GBR/Bolivian Grow-Out Tank w/pics 7/22/06..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, new update. Algae is still rampant in the tank, lol. And the snails, almost as many as there is gravel in the bottom of the tank, lol. At least I don't have to worry about overfeeding, lol. Any extra gets eaten up by the snails, lol. There's far too many of them to count, lol.

Well, got more pics, since you all enjoy them. They are growing quite fast now. But how to you get them to stop growing for a short while so you can savor the moments? LOL. Here they are....

10g29.jpg

10g30.jpg

10g31.jpg

Remember when the gravel used to look like boulders compared to the babies?
10g32.jpg

10g33.jpg

10g34.jpg

10g35.jpg

10g36.jpg

New update. The sure are growing fast, lol. A couple of th eBolivians have now reached almost a half inch, that is including the tail this time. lol. And the GBR's are coming up right behind them. It is so cool to watch them. I love feeding them, just put a little dab of fr food in, and there's enough to feed all the fry and snails, lol. It's so cool watching their little mouths open and close when getting the food, lol. Looks almost robotic, lol. The GBR's are now starting to get some of it's markings as well, and the Bolivians got theirs a few days ago. Also, on the GBR's, you can now see the black spike of the dorsal fin. Pretty cool. Same with the Bolivians.

Well, I did it. lol. I ordered more GBR's, 7 females and 3 males, off aquabid. I need more, more, more, lol. I'm not sure if my female is going to make it after her injury. Has a small chunk taken out right behind her right eye. I hope she survives. So maybe with the added females, there will be less stress, as she's the only female right now. I got the GBR's for 10 for $32.00. He said he could send all females if I wanted as well. But thought I'd get a couple more males.

Hope they do well for you. I thank I'm going to buy some of those golds you showe me. I talked with the guy to see if he could send only female and it looks like a go.

Well, today I went ahead and made some changes. I put the Eco in my new tank, and put some Wisteria in it. I also put a piece of driftwood in there that I had. The top tank is the tank that I moved from my dresser with my fry. It was fun moving that tank by myself, lol. But it's there now. I was having a problem cooling the tank, as the bedroom get's quite warm. Now it's by my 75G where the A/C is, so the temp will be constant now.

Now my next project, raising the stand so the top tank is level with the 75G. Any ideas? I want to link the 2 tanks, then I can move the filter down to the lower 10g tank. Any recommendations on raising it? Needs to be raised about 8 3/4 inches. Then, if I feel secure about the linking together, I can remove the large heater from the bottom tank, move the small heater to the lower tank, and use the 75G to maintain the temp as well. Will be interesting when I get done.

Now, the fry are still in the dirty upper tank. Once they get a little bigger, and I get a fair amount of plants in the lower tank, I'll move them down to the lower tank, and then clean out the upper tank for more eggs. But til then, will see how things go.

10g39.jpg

10g40.jpg

10g41.jpg

10g42.jpg

Hi LBW, I have two pairs of German Blue Rams, a pair in my 29 gallon community tank and a pair that live by themselves in my 10 gallon tank. Both pair have spawned, the pair in my 29 gallon have spawned repeatedly and the pair in my 10 gallon just recently spawned but the problem for me is, they always eat their eggs.

I tried a couple of times to remove them from my 29 gallon and am twice I was overcome with guilt and could not remove them. I feel terrible trying to take these eggs away from their parents, especially where they come up and try to bite my hand and head butt me to get out of there. So I always back down.

I have an idea and was wondering if I purchased a divider for the 10 gallon, would it work if I separated the parents from the eggs? Would they eventually hatch by themselves, without help from me?

BTW, congratulations on your fry, good job, I really enjoyed reading this post!

Linda

I think a divider would work. Only problem is there's much less space for the parents. As for my female, she got injured, and I don't think she's going to make it. So I ordered more. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.

As for hatching the eggs, they will need help from you. Need some decent circulation, and anti-fungus treatment regularly. Or a lot of them won't hatch.

Edit:
Update:
The fry is doing awsome. Will have more pics this weekend. They sure are growing fast. And now I can see some shiny blue on the GBR's tiny bodies. :)

I"m so sorry to hear that your female was injured, that breaks my heart when things like this happen. I hope she makes it!

The female I have in my 29 gallon will not stay away from the CO2 bubbles and it's got me a little concerned, is she getting high on them, she's constantly playing and eating the bubbles at the top of my Hagen Ladder. I've never had a fish do this before, I only hope it's not hurting her.

Actually, she didn't make it. She passed away yesterday. But I got 10 new rams today, 7 are female. So now I have 7 complete pairs. Hope all goes well, they seem to be adjusting quite nicely. :)

Actually, I don't think the CO2 bubbles will hurt her any. Some of my fish chase any bubbles that come off my powered reactor. And all are just fine.

Sorry about the female but how sweet that you have 7 pairs now! It's nice to see somebody having luck with breeding these beautiful creatures.

sweet! Good job on the fry, hopefully all of them will survive! I have three molly babies that are over three months old now, and getting huge copared to when I first found them! I also have the joy right now of baby ghost shrimp!

I am giving the GBR thing a try again, just bought six yesterday from a new lfs. They are all doing really well this morning (they are all still alive :D)

Your fry are looking great wolf! They've definitely grown a lot. Can't wait to see some pics of them when they are even bigger and more colorful!

Update:

The fry are doing great. Tried getting some more pics, but they were behind the plants. Now another characteristic of the GBR's is coming out, the evil red eyes, lol. Imagine tiny fish with evil red eyes, lol. It looks so awsome. Will try to get some pics this weekend. :)

Update:

Did small PWC today. Hope I don't have any more casualties, as it seems like every time I do a PWC, no matter how small, I lose some. Did about 10% today.

Well, I have some more pics for ya. Hope you enjoy....

10g43.jpg

10g44.jpg

10g45.jpg

10g46.jpg

10g47.jpg

10g48.jpg

10g49.jpg

10g50.jpg

Hey those look great, I thank I've seen those before. LOL Still I want that female in the bottom picture in the center right at the bottom. LMAO

well i know you could find that same one in the picture again if you tryed a 1000 times, So I'm going to keep saying " That's a female and I'm right and you can't proof me wrong" HA HA HA LMAO. But if I'd really have to venture a guess. I'd say by looking at the picture really really close. You can see the two dots on the tail area. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom