Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeb343

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi does anyone know whats best for clearing Diatoms from my aquarium please, i have used Silicate remover JBL SilicatEX but doesnt seem to be doing anyting it has brought my silicate levels down but still have diatoms all over my coral sand

Not much to do except waiting and keep doing PWC and vacuuming. How old is your tank?

It could take up to a year for them to clear. Not likely that long. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates all 0? They could be feeding off silicates from substrate or decor in the aquarium or from your water. What water do you use and are you using sand?

I'm assuming live sand from the aquarium shop? It sounds like everything is in check and your doing great. Just need to wait it out and and keep doing pwc. I would think it should clear up within a month.

Nteal's advice is all spot on, but I'd like to add one thing. Diatoms settle in areas of lower flow. Increasing flow may also help. But they are a natural part of the aging process.

My 2 conchs live the diatoms. It's kinda neat to see them moving along side by side cleaning up the diatoms

Attachments

• image-3787517783.jpg
    image-3787517783.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom