Did something crazy today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought i'd tell you my other tanks bulbs too, b/c i guess i need to get some plants in all of them. I currently have marimo moss balls and a small amount of horn wort. Another tank has a 15w fluorescent bulb and the other big one has the same 50watts total, tube looking bulbs.

RaygunK said:
Hey Mommaof4boys! I actually bought 5 more female guppies yesterday to even out my ratio (granted, it's still off), but i'm pretty sure they are all pregnant too! Geesh. I'm just planning on selling off a lot of the fry to my lfs, i guess. What else do people do with all these guppies, since all they seem to do is drop babies? :D
Also, a different question, is hornwort (the plant) the same as guppy grass?

People give babies away, feed them to other fish or get rid of females or Guppies completely.
Livebearers are fun at first. Amazing colors. Clubs just for fans. But most people don't want 20 tanks of Guppies.

Hornwort :proper Name: Ceratophyllum submersum

Guppy Grass :proper Name: Najas guadaloupensis

Not the same !!!
Both are used in Fry tanks.

Google for images and more info.

RaygunK said:
They are the really cheap 2 bulb, i think 15 watt each, lighted lid. Nothing fancy. Suggestions for plants? And what do i need to stick with them or grow them on or whatever they do. ;)

If they are screw in incandescents swap them for CFLs. I use mini u-shaped CFLs 6,500K Zoomed bulbs. SuperSun I think is the name.

Wattage? Aim for 2watts per gallon. Don't exceed hood specs.

People give babies away, feed them to other fish or get rid of females or Guppies completely.
Livebearers are fun at first. Amazing colors. Clubs just for fans. But most people don't want 20 tanks of Guppies.

Hornwort :proper Name: Ceratophyllum submersum

Guppy Grass :proper Name: Najas guadaloupensis

Not the same !!!
Both are used in Fry tanks.

Google for images and more info.

Wow! Your tanks are amazing! Very inspiring to get lots of plants! Yeah, i guess i didn't get guppy grass after all. Also i agree i don't want tanks full of guppies, i hope i can give them away or sell them.

I'm really interested in getting some shrimp. Since you have a shrimp jungle, thought you would know, can you put shrimp in a fry tank?

Going to buy some plants this morning too, suggestions? :thanks:

If they are screw in incandescents swap them for CFLs. I use mini u-shaped CFLs 6,500K Zoomed bulbs. SuperSun I think is the name.

Wattage? Aim for 2watts per gallon. Don't exceed hood specs.

I think my wattage is right for my tanks, except my florescent bulb--it's only 15 watts (20g tank). I'll look into the bulbs at the LFS this morning.

Wow! Your tanks are amazing! Very inspiring to get lots of plants! Yeah, i guess i didn't get guppy grass after all. Also i agree i don't want tanks full of guppies, i hope i can give them away or sell them.

I'm really interested in getting some shrimp. Since you have a shrimp jungle, thought you would know, can you put shrimp in a fry tank?

Going to buy some plants this morning too, suggestions? :thanks:
I'm pretty sure you are asking him, but I'll answer your question. It mostly depends on what type of shrimp you want. RCS are the best starter shrimp, by far. They are easy to keep and breed, and good-quality ones are quite colorful. The problem is, the RCS babies would get eaten by the older fry, and your population will slowly decrease. Ghost shrimp are good, but I haven't researched them yet.

phoenixkiller said:
I'm pretty sure you are asking him, but I'll answer your question. It mostly depends on what type of shrimp you want. RCS are the best starter shrimp, by far. They are easy to keep and breed, and good-quality ones are quite colorful. The problem is, the RCS babies would get eaten by the older fry, and your population will slowly decrease. Ghost shrimp are good, but I haven't researched them yet.

RCS and any dwarf shrimp need good clean water. Guppies are messy. So if you had more live plants and kept the water clean and moved Guppies out before they grew too large, then RCS are a great choice.

Ghost Shrimp will grab sleeping fry if they can.
They are opportunist hunters.

And Coursair is a woman
~ Tina
Coursair Whippets

Ok, back from lfs & got a price of driftwood (my 1st), some rocks for my fry tank, & some plants. The plants I got are 2 bunches of willow moss, 2 banana plants, and more horn wort (I think).

Now how to distribute between my 3 yanks? Do I need to do anything special with the wood before putting it in my tank besides rinsing it good?

image-3448181297.jpg

image-181821579.jpg

image-3068034744.jpg

RCS and any dwarf shrimp need good clean water. Guppies are messy. So if you had more live plants and kept the water clean and moved Guppies out before they grew too large, then RCS are a great choice.

Ghost Shrimp will grab sleeping fry if they can.
They are opportunist hunters.

And Coursair is a woman
~ Tina
Coursair Whippets
That's true, I would say RCS would do best in their own planted tank, with some snails. If you decide to get RCS, a water change schedule would have to be a 50% weekly.

Sorry, I call everyone a male until I get to know them a bit better!

phoenixkiller said:
That's true, I would say RCS would do best in their own planted tank, with some snails. If you decide to get RCS, a water change schedule would have to be a 50% weekly.

Sorry, I call everyone a male until I get to know them a bit better!

Actually mine had such little bioload that I did 10-25% PWCs weekly till I added fish. Unless I overfed.

No worries on the gender confusion ;)

Hello??? Does anyone like the rocks and plants i added? ;)

I'm almost done decorating w/the driftwood.

So, back to shrimp. Can i add them to my community tank? Or no, b/c it's to messy?

I think your tank looks nice...;-). I thought you had to boil or bake driftwood before adding it to the tank...but I'm new...so maybe that's just if it's found driftwood. I've tried to go out and buy more plants for the big aquarium (240) and I can't find anything local that doesn't look half dead already! Your new plants look nice and healthy! Great job!

Hello??? Does anyone like the rocks and plants i added? ;)

I'm almost done decorating w/the driftwood.

So, back to shrimp. Can i add them to my community tank? Or no, b/c it's to messy?
Two reasons why not to add to community:
1. Yes, most fish are too messy and RCS need clean water.
2. There are a number of fish that will eat RCS adults. Pretty much all fish eat RCS babies.

A species-only (With snails) is the best tank for some RCS. Or, if you are not trying to breed them, put them in a young-fry tank.

I think your tank looks nice...;-). I thought you had to boil or bake driftwood before adding it to the tank...but I'm new...so maybe that's just if it's found driftwood. I've tried to go out and buy more plants for the big aquarium (240) and I can't find anything local that doesn't look half dead already! Your new plants look nice and healthy! Great job!
I'm pretty sure she did, but I hope she knows that yes, you have to boil driftwood.

Thanks!

Yes, i did boil the driftwood for almost an hour. Also, our local fish store, The Aquatic Critter, is an amazing fish store! All the plants, fish, rocks, driftwood--is amazing! Really great prices too! If you're ever in Nashville, a must for fish lovers. :)

Well, don't know if i'll ever have shrimp--unless i get rid of my fry tank. I thought someone said that RCS would eat fry? I wouldn't want to breed them, btw.

I'll post a pic of the driftwood tank.

Thanks!

Yes, i did boil the driftwood for almost an hour. Also, our local fish store, The Aquatic Critter, is an amazing fish store! All the plants, fish, rocks, driftwood--is amazing! Really great prices too! If you're ever in Nashville, a must for fish lovers. :)

Well, don't know if i'll ever have shrimp--unless i get rid of my fry tank. I thought someone said that RCS would eat fry? I wouldn't want to breed them, btw.

I'll post a pic of the driftwood tank.
RCS do not eat fry. In fact, the take all eternity in eating a 4 mm pellet. I don't know who told you that, but it would be the FISH who eat the SHRIMP, not vice-versa. If you keep the fry tank clean and have a baseball size portion of Java Moss in addition to the plants you just got, I think you would be able to get RCS. I would say that you MUST wait a few months to get them, new tanks are not good for RCS, as they are very fragile.

Back
Top Bottom