Difference between 14k and 20k MH Lighing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr86mister

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Everyone! I have read plenty up on the actual differences in the the 14k and 20k Halide lights. Now, I'm looking to see actual pictures with those running by themselves with out the supplemental lighting. So, I know you guys and gals have pictures of your tanks running with the MH's. So post some pictures here if you can. I'm looking at if I want a 14k or 20k for the new 75 I'm picking up next week to replace my 46. Thanks everyone in advance!! More pictures the better!:D

If you are just interested in the aesthetics you can try marinedepot.com. They have an archive that shows side by side comparisons of various halide bulbs.

I RECENTLY REPLACED MY 14K HALIDES WITH 20K.THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF WHITE LIGHT(20k having more).IT IS MORE APPEALING TO OUR EYE BUT THE REAL LIGHT THE MARINE CHAIN USES IS MORE OF THE BLUES(ACTENIC)AS LONG AS YOU SUPPLEMENT THE 20K WITH AN EQUAL TO BLUE YOU ARE OK.PERSONALLY I WILL GO BACK TO 14K WHEN I REPLACE AGAIN.BUT IT DOES LOOK BETTER TO OUR EYE.

lol R6Chick. I do understand what they are supposed to look like. But basically, its hard to be like, "Well, it's bluer than the 14K". Unless I can see comparisons it's hard to figure out. I have gone all over online to figure it out. The marinedepot idea, do you have a link for the exact page?

The brand of bulb makes a huge difference along with the type of ballast. 1 manufacturers 15K bulb can look very blue while another manufacturers 15k bulb can look very white. The same bulb can look different on a different ballast too.

Here's a nice color comparison site.
CnidarianReef: Lamp Tests

And another.
Bulb Color Comparisons

M86M, in general, you can see that the higher the K value the bluer the light though...

Back
Top Bottom