Dirted tank water color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanLikesFishAndBeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just dirted my tank today, I capped it and filled it up with water, the water was already funky but over time it just keeps getting darker. I understand that it is releasing its tannins, but how many water changes do you think it will take to go back to normal?

image-2881947507.jpg

I don't know how long for it to clear up, but I can say from experience that the black tint is always somewhat there. It will be gone completely over a long period of time. Do you have carbon in your filter? That helps to clear tannins faster.

Took mine about 6 months. I think the depth of the cap, as well as the material, has a little part in that as well. What did you cap it with? Looks to me like you probably stirred up some muck while filling it. It'll have a brown tint, but a few 50-75% water changes should get it back to decent shape. 50% weekly will help combat the coloration a bit, but it'll still get brown/yellow to a degree.

I hit your other post but it took 7 days of emptying and refilling the tank to get it way down. I used Purgen which speeded removing the tannins alot. By day 8 I planted and you couldn't really tell there were tannins in the water. Then left the Purgen in the filter for months until it turned almost black indicating it was filled to capacity. Don't be alarmed in the morning when you can't see the tank back due to the tannins. Pure composted soil can make compost tea so be prepared for alot of tannin release. You might think it will never end but trust me it does.

I just ordered some purigen, hopefully it works like everyone says it does. But as for the tank. You were exactly right I couldn't see a thing in there. So I did a water change and after like 8 hours it's a green tea color. Would it be pointless to do 2 water changes a day?

Yep, it sure would. That is why I waited 24 hours between each WC. Might as well let it leech like crazy then do the water change. I think it took about 4 days before I started to see less leeching (at least where I could see the back of the tank). Mind you it was still way colored but better. Seemed like once I planted and the Purgen got a couple days to really kick in that the water color greatly improved. Just have to tough this phase out :)

I'm working on that because I want pic's for me too. Have to get my adult daughter who lives with me to take some. She said being a 6 foot long tank she can't get a full shot without a panaramic view camera. So they are going to have to be about 2/3's of the tank at a time. I've got another plant order coming in hopefully this week as I want to remove some stem plants I just don't like and add one's I do. After they fill in for a couple 2-3 weeks that's when I want to get some pic's. Then it will be figuring out how to attach them. I'll post my spec's at the end of this email so you get an idea of what I'm running.

Tank: 220 gallon 72"Lx24"Wx30"H
Lighting: Coralife 72" fixture 3x150 HID metal halide, 4x 39W T5, 6x1W LED lunar light, all on timer
Filtration: Fluval FX5, Fluval 406 with Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15 Watt UV Sterilizer
Heating: 3x 300W Fluval E Series
Powerheads: 2x 240gph Hydor Koralia Nano pumps (for gentle added circulation due to tank size)
Substrate: 1-1/2" organic soil, capped with 1-1/2" eco-complete

Water parameters:
KH: 5
GH: 6
PH: 7.2
Iron: .3
Nitrates 10 ppm

Phosphates: .5 to 1 ppm
Flourish Excel -no CO2 (yet)
Ferts: dosing PPS Pro daily and Flourish Iron as needed
Water testing 2x week
Water changes 10 gallons

Plants:
Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)
Ambulia (Limnophila indica)
Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'
Proserpinaca Palustris
Rotala Indica (Rotala roundifolia)
Rotala macrandra
Anubias barteri v. Nana
Anubias barteri v. Coffeefolia
Bolbitus heudelotii
Pogostemon helferi
Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)
Java Fern, Lace (Microsorium pteropus v. Windelov)
Crinum Calimistratum
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)
Cryptocoryne Parva
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. Tropica)
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus 'ozelot')
Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba')

Fish:
10 Veil and Super Veil Angelfish (3 juvenille, 1 pair, 1 male with his 4 female harem)
21 Rummy nose tetras
12 Diamond tetras
5 German
Blue Rams
4 Electric Blue Rams
2 Gold Rams
3 YoYo loaches
4 Corydoras sterbai
4 Corydoras panda
1 Corydoras agassizi
8 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
18 Otocinclus Catfish