disaster in my tank leads to room for more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
while i was on vacation,my grandparents looked after my fish. they fed quite a bit more than i would have,leading to 5 dead fish.3 jewel cichlids(dominant male,subdominant male,and dominant female),1 black skirt tetra,and my swordtail. i went from being arguablely over-stocked,to having some room to spare(once i sell the 30 or so fry,just waiting for a pair after the death of my male). do you think i could have a senegal bichir and/or a spotted leaffish? the tank currently holds: bout 30 jewels(going down to 2-3),1 rainbow shark,8 blackskirt tetras,1 raphael catfish,1 otto(if he gets eaten i dont care. he picks on my shark). its running a fluval 405 filter and i keep the temp at about 80. dont worry,the nitrites,trates,and ammo are fine. i did 3 50-80% water changes so far. oh,and the only plants in right niow are 2 anubias's and a little bit of java moss(most had junk in it i couldnt get out).

thought about it,and i decided not to get a leaf fish even if i can. just maybe the bichir

Bichirs get pretty big and will eat anything that can fit in their mouth.

i thought cichlids and community fish like swordtails was a no no ???

i knew i forgot something,its 55 gallons. and it normally is,i got the jewels thinking they were dwarf cichlids,and never had any problems

Get the senegal bichir. They will eat anything you feed them. Mine are very active, swimming all over the tank anytime I come near. They also grow very fast at first but should only be a bout a foot when full grown.

ok,thanks.so your sure my eel will be okay?

I have several senegals and I think itl be fine. The minimum recommended tank size for a Senegal is 40 gallons full grown so you should have enough room to where the fish don't get stressed out.

Iv got acouple small ones in one of my 55s right now and have no problems. Mine love laying on my plants

Attachments

• image-4041077233.jpg
    image-4041077233.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom