Discus breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is definitely worth what you paid.Probably several times more at 8' long.
Shipping will be the issue for such a large light,but if you can sell it local you will make some $ IMO.

So if i keep the metal halides off, will the t5 hos work for freshwater.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If they are the correct spectrum(temp).
the MH could then be run as mentioned as midday peak sun for an hour or so.
High light requires all other issues(ferts/co2/waste) to be very well balanced.
Even in large tanks(the light is for a large tank) there is less room for error with "high" light.

I have a 280 ir 300gl it could go over. Im curious about hanging it in the ceiling and using it to light all my tanks in that room Lidless. I breed many types of fish very successfully, but plants..... these ****ed plants and lights are drivin me nuts

Since you all seem to know exactly what you're doing with regards to discus breeding, got any tips? I'm breeding them for a project where part of it is doing analysis on their mucus during breeding. (yes it's been done before but I'm looking at it from an immunological perspective). (Non destructive sampling, no fish get hurt, and I get my first real chance to keep discus)

By the way, i could breed a million hearty, happy, healthy discus succesfully and im not sure ill ever know exactly what im doing with them. Like i have this one pair that freaks if i wear my blue university of kansas hoody.

What strains, buddy?

Pidgeon bloods and red turquoise I believe. Not so good at distinguishing varieties. The variety shouldn't matter for the results (and if it does... well, hopefully we'll find out)

We got around 30 and despite treating for all kinds of disease, every other day to daily water changes with warm pre-mixed water (kh around 20 ppm, gh around 100ppm), giving them quality flake and frozen food, we lost all but 3 and just got 2 more today....

Want to get it right for the next group of fish we get.

Last edited:
Ok. Sounds good. The reason i asked abt strains, was to see if anything was albino. I have witnessed fry having trouble finding white to translucent parents to eat from the skin secretion. Secondly, how old are they? Third, where are you getting them. Four whats the end result your after or the purpose of this research. All those will help me help you.

Ok. Sounds good. The reason i asked abt strains, was to see if anything was albino. I have witnessed fry having trouble finding white to translucent parents to eat from the skin secretion. Secondly, how old are they? Third, where are you getting them. Four whats the end result your after or the purpose of this research. All those will help me help you.

These are just a few months old, 2-3 inches long. We got them from somethingsphishy, the same place as the OP. The purpose of the research is simply looking at how discus mucus protein expression changes due to different situations including breeding. In previous research, unique immune proteins were found in discus mucus, we hope to find more like this and to identify their purpose. In particular they may be passing them to the fry to increase their passive immunity. So we just hope to have them spawn and have fry survive so we can look at this.

Absolutely they pass things on the fry through this. Same as breast milk.

Ok. Well then..... water, is it conditioned tap, treated tap, or RO? PH? tank set up, planted or not rocks, substrate, tank mates etc....? Filtraton? Temp and controls? And heres a curveball, where is the tank? How high or low does it sit? High traffic, or low traffic?

Absolutely they pass things on the fry through this. Same as breast milk.

Yep, I'm no expert but I believe it. It'll be good to know what they're passing on and to have evidence of it; as soon as I find out anything cool in this project I will be posting it here!

...But I have to get them to spawn first, as well as run a few trials under normal circumstances and such.

Ok. Well then..... water, is it conditioned tap, treated tap, or RO? PH? tank set up, planted or not rocks, substrate, tank mates etc....? Filtraton? Temp and controls? And heres a curveball, where is the tank? How high or low does it sit? High traffic, or low traffic?

Mix of RO and well water- around 9:1 RO to well to achieve the 20ppm kh 100ppm gh. pH 6.5. No plants, just some PVC pipe, large size gravel. No tankmates although we're strongly considering adding some corydoras and some tetras as dithers. Filtration is a eheim canister filter. Temperature is 84 degrees. Tank is a 6 foot 125 gallon on a normal 125 gallon stand, so average height. Moderate traffic area, in the aquaculture research center. Not the most used room in the building but there are around a dozen other tanks in the room that get attended to daily by someone else.

Sounds good. I can tell you that ive had more trouble with breeding them below 6.9 than i have neutral or above.

Now it will be a while before their even ready to breed. They are way too young. I cant even sex the 100% until 4" +.

Now it will be a while before their even ready to breed. They are way too young. I cant even sex the 100% until 4" +.

Yep, for now I'm just doing some regular sampling. Hopefully I get funding to continue over the summer. Is there any good way to raise the pH without raising the kH too?

I would also say if your going with substrate to get plants and driftwood. Driftwood will also help naturally lower the p.h. they like to have a few places to get out of the limelight. Id stay away from corys, BN plecos are great tankmates. Also the smaller the granule of substeate the easier it is for discus to find food that has settled as they are not fast eaters.

Check out what i just got in the garage. Bad pics, but i think you'll see why im so excited.

Back
Top Bottom