Discus dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are the discus a new addition or any other fish new in the tank? If so it could had been a parasite or something in the water if u just dumped the water in or it could had been the temp changes up and Down

Okay, now there's something off with the other discus, I can't really describe it, but it's like it's drunk. It's swimming around slowly and bumping into things

Sounds like swim bladder disease but ive never seen it in discus only heard of it in gold fish but I'm sure any fish can get it

Okay, now there's something off with the other discus, I can't really describe it, but it's like it's drunk. It's swimming around slowly and bumping into things

I feel your pain shadowstar123,
I've lost alot of Discus over the years....especially in the early years.
The secret (for me) is daily water changes and not mixing other fish with the Discus.

Thras could be right about "swim bladder disease".....No real way of telling short of sending the fish to a lab & that's big money.

Sorry again for the loss,
Dennis

Hang in there shadowstar......I know it hurts to watch a fish suffer.
You could try lowering the water level. That'll take some of the pressure away from the little guy/girl.

Dennis

Man i'm already having bad luck with the first two discus i've got, one's dead and the other has swim bladder. Actually, when I had it in a bucket to acclimate, it swam frantically around the circumference of the bucket, about two or three times, but it swam perfectly along it, could it be that it's not swimbladder?

I'd only be guessing as to what the problem is.
It's possible that the fish was sick before you bought him/her and the stress from the move brought out the symptoms.

Dennis

Swim bladder isn't contagious right? Because as I was monitoring my discus, I looked at my 3 angels, and they're slightly sideways too. They're perfectly healthy, but is it possible that whatever my discus has, has transmitted over to my angelfish in a matter of hours and affected them?

I'm pretty sure gas fumes can cause major problems. IIRC there was a guy on here recently who lost his whole reef tank from gas fumes. I can't seem to find the thread though.

Yea I would say gas fumes can be toxic to the fish especially if exposed for long periods of time I would suggest a 50% pwc or even a 75% pcw

Well, kind of too late now, the other discus seems out of it, and the two clown loaches in my qt look sickly..

If it was me I would put the discus in a fresh thing of water and put a air stone in it try to save him try to get the temp close to what he's at and put stress coat or prime in there if u over dose it won't hurt him and start doing a 75% water change add carbon to the filter and try saving what fish I could but that's just me

After the water change over dose the tank and put the fish back in and add air stones and hope they make it it's all u can do at this point

Back
Top Bottom