Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guinness said:
Yea that's the trouble lol. Mind you working for a fish farm has its benefits, just brought a uv steriliser of my boss for £20 it's only been used for about 2 months. Bargain!

Nice!!! You're so lucky lol

I transferred the discus to their new home today, they are still a bit stressed from the move but seem to be coming round ok.

I will be setting the S/W tank up tomorrow will take pics and post.

Here is the discus new home.

image-1584401914.jpg

image-2096135589.jpg

What do you think?

Guinness said:
I transferred the discus to their new home today, they are still a bit stressed from the move but seem to be coming round ok.

I will be setting the S/W tank up tomorrow will take pics and post.

Here is the discus new home.

What do you think?

Looks awesome!! Makes me miss my guys :/

Well I had around 70 baby discus swimming round the tank yesterday but are all dead today! I don't think the parents created any slime coat for them to feed off. At least they didn't eat them hey lol. They are getting better and better every time tho so that's a good thing.

Better luck next time lol.

Guinness said:
Well I had around 70 baby discus swimming round the tank yesterday but are all dead today! I don't think the parents created any slime coat for them to feed off. At least they didn't eat them hey lol. They are getting better and better every time tho so that's a good thing.

Better luck next time lol.

Haha wow these guys are never gonna have kids at this rate haha

More discus babies! Around 70 little ones now. All doing ok so far, free swimming at the moment just hope the adults produce the slime coat for them.

Guinness said:
More discus babies! Around 70 little ones now. All doing ok so far, free swimming at the moment just hope the adults produce the slime coat for them.

How long have they been alive??

You should start a breeding discus thread I would be very interested to follow it I'm hoping I get a pair out of my seven when they get old enough

Jesselav1233 said:
You should start a breeding discus thread I would be very interested to follow it I'm hoping I get a pair out of my seven when they get old enough

Lol I would but as of yet I haven't been able to raise any past the free swimming stage.

That's okay I've read it takes a pair multiple times to get it right what type of discus are they I've read that pigeon based discus often require foster parents because the light colors don't attract the fry. I've also read white paper around 3 sides of the tank to help contrast the parents from the background good luck keep us updated please???

Jesselav1233 said:
That's okay I've read it takes a pair multiple times to get it right what type of discus are they I've read that pigeon based discus often require foster parents because the light colors don't attract the fry. I've also read white paper around 3 sides of the tank to help contrast the parents from the background good luck keep us updated please???

Yea I have put white paper all round the tank, I have wrapped the bubble filter which is black in a white floss foam.

The female is a pigeon blood or fire dragon and the male is a red Mellon. I think as they are still young they haven't figured it out properly yet. They have got better and better every time they have spawned. The first 3 times they spawned they ate the eggs after a day, then they spawned again and the eggs hatched but then they ate them. Then they spawned again and when the fry were free swimming they ate them, now the fry hatch and they look after them but a day after they are free swimming they die, I think the parents haven't realised that they need to produce the slime coat to feed the fry. They spawn 3 days after each batch of fry die. I'm hopeful that will work it out and get it right soon. ;-)

Do u have another tank with discus in it? I read that if the tank is close to the pair so they can see other discus it can help trigger their natural parenting instincts. This is all just me guessing from what I've read so take this all with a grain of salt. Good luck.

Jesselav1233 said:
Do u have another tank with discus in it? I read that if the tank is close to the pair so they can see other discus it can help trigger their natural parenting instincts. This is all just me guessing from what I've read so take this all with a grain of salt. Good luck.

Yes I have the main discus tank with 6 other discus in but that's downstairs in the living room. The breeding pair are in the bedroom lol. I have nowhere to put the breeding tank downstairs.

Back
Top Bottom