Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking over Discus water requirements - and they seem to match what I get consistently in all my tanks. Does anyone have experience in keeping discus that wouldn't mind sharing their temperament/persona with a me a little bit? Do they do well alone? Would they be able to be housed with guppies and swordtails and cory cats?

Thanks in advance!

Discus are a terrific fish and I've been keeping them for a while now. I heartily reccomend them for that empty 75g :wink: but...............they require a lot of care. IMO, get some experience caring for discus only first, then think about keeping them with other species.

i don't keep discus, but i do know that they like to be kept at a higher temperature than most fish... usually around 85-86 degrees. that may be pushing it with the rest of your tank mates!

Keeping discus with other fish certainly can be done, but it's like trying to keep a toy poodle and a greyhound in the same small apartment. They are both dogs but their needs are entirely different. Not difficult, just different.

brian- i was actually thinking about putting discus in my new 125 gallon, but i'm not sure it will be the best option for me. the tank isn't very TALL, and i know that discus get really big; i don't want them to be cramped! but when you say above that you would save the discus for a 75g, would you only put ONE in a 75g? just wondering! they are awesome fish.

No mg, that isn't what I meant at all. A 75gal would supoort 16-18 adults without a prob. I keep 11 in my 55gal. The more discus in the tank, the more secure they are, and the less they become stressed. But, I have plenty of filtration, and keep up with the water changing regimen

Here's why I really love discus. Before I got them I was a hobbyist, and that was great. Since getting them I've been challenged to become an aquarist, and that's even better. I still have my angels and tetras and gouramis (which I love), but the discus made me enthusiastic 8)

I saw this topic and could not resist. IMO discus are the ultimate freshwater fish and compare to SW. They are challenging, but very rewarding if you take the time and set up the proper environment for them. After doing just about everything possible in FW I came across Discus and I successfully kept 6-8 adult discus in a fully planted 75g set up before making the jump to SW a few years ago.

Some basic requirements include:

Water quality- Extremely good, you can never have enough filtration, I would recommend RO water if available and I had great success with a product called blackwater extract. Stay away from undergravel if possible especially if you think live plants might be in your future plans.

PH 6.6-6.8 slightly acidic

Temp 80-85

Substrate and decor: Fine gravel or sand with lots of driftwood and tall plants they like to hover by the wood along with tall plants.

Plants-If you have the lighting I would suggest live plants various val, swords, apongen bulbs etc. If you are even thinking about live plants seed your substrate with laterite(fertilizer) when you initially set up the tank. You can always add the plants later.

Inhabitants- Suggest staying any from larger fish. Although Angels are closely related they are not the best tank mates for Discus as they usually prove more aggressive. Small schooling tetras and dwarf cichlids such as RAMS make the best tank mates. I had a pair of Rams with 12-20 cardinal tetras and some lemon tetras.

Discus themself-There are many variations out there today for various prices. Suggest you start with juvenals 2-4" which will be more cost effective as well. I started with 12 and ended up with 8 healthy adults and two pairs.

Tank size- IMO in my opinion 30gal or larger is best. My brother currently has two in a 25g eclipse setup. 55g or bigger would be best for adults. I prefer a 75gal because of the extra depth which provides extra swimming room. I started with a 30g and 6 juvenals. As far as size of fish, I have seen some really large ones, but IME most get to be 6-8" at most.

food-blood worms, beef heart, brine and flake where what I used. I am sure there are a lot of other preparations out there now as well.

There are a ton of books and articles out there on Discus. Anything by Watley or Hagen is pretty good. Do your research.

I am sure if you hang around this site long enough you will find some great info as well.

Good luck,

Aaron, you put a lot of time into this and I for one appreciate it. But IMHO I would never recommend a beginner take on a planted discus tank. Not that it can't be done but, the clean water requirement would frustrate most. It's so much easier to grow discus out in a bare bottom tank. :D No pathogens hiding in the substrate.

BrianNY,

I agree, I would never recommend Discus bare bottom or planted tank to a beginner. Based on the posts I am assuming all involved in the discussion so far have some aquarium experience.

Bare bottom tanks have there place for breeding and raising juvenals, but IMO for a display tank nothing beats a planted tank(live of fake). I would not encourage anyone venture into this prospect without doing some extensive research on their own first. I think I spent about 3 years in the hobby before I tackled live plants and then Discus. I made my mistakes along the way too. :)

I was just trying to point out that if an experience aquarist would want to set up a display discus tank with substrate I would encourage them to consider seeding the substrate for the potential of doing live plants down the road. With the quality of fake plants out there today that were not available just a few years ago there are all sorts or options available. :fadein:

Guess I misunderstood Aaron. And, I'm gearing up for that 125 gal planted tank.
Check out my gallery :D

Great Gallery! Makes me miss FW, I love my SW setup, but there is nothing more majestic than Discus.

16-18 adults in a 75? Thats the most insane thing I've ever heard, thats 96-144" of fish, in a relatively small area, and especially for a fish that can be fairly picky over water conditions. I think a little re-evaluation of stocking methods is in order. It's no wonder you cant get the young as far as the wiggler stage.

I think a little re-evaluation of stocking methods is in order. It's no wonder you cant get the young as far as the wiggler stage.
Wow, weren't you just talking about overstocking a cichlid tank in another post?
[center:ff92b107de]We're all here to learn and share information--not criticize! [/center:ff92b107de]

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask something about Discus!
I finally saw them for the first time at the LFS. They ARE beautiful, but what makes them so expensive? Is it the time and care to raise them?

Menagerie said:
[center:2035e839f7]We're all here to learn and share information--not criticize! [/center:2035e839f7]

Very nicely said. :)

And as for the topic of Discus I started. They are so beautiful! :;sigh:: But as I posted before, I cannot get them for my 75 gal as the temperature will conflict with the fish I already have and need to put into there. :( I will have a discus or two some day! You wait and see!

AdamsZoological said:
16-18 adults in a 75? Thats the most insane thing I've ever heard, thats 96-144" of fish, in a relatively small area, and especially for a fish that can be fairly picky over water conditions. I think a little re-evaluation of stocking methods is in order. It's no wonder you cant get the young as far as the wiggler stage.

My but you're insulting!!! But stop and think for a second. I've 11 adults in a 55g. Do you think they would pair off and spawn at all if the conditions weren't optimal? Getting the fry past the wiggler stage has all to do with the TDS in the water. I don't claim to be an all knowing discus guru but somehow I feel I know these fish a little better than you.

I'm learning from one of the top discus breeders in the country. I can tell you that he keeps 14 adults per 55g. Discus feel more secure in numbers. The water changes, and filter cleaning make it not only practical, but beneficial.

Is discus-keeping another example of where the hallowed "one inch of fish per gallon" rule breaks down?

I don't own any discus, but I do like to stand near the discus tank in my lfs and drool. One thing I've noticed is that for their length and height, these fish are incredibly thin and flat.

Their body volume must be a fraction of that of any similarly sized fish. Is this why it is possible to keep 14 in a 55 gal?

I'll give you my best guess QTOFFER :) . That 1 inch per gallon rule goes back to the days of the box filter. It supposes a sand or gravel substrate where gravel cleaning meant breaking the tank down.

I keep my discus in bare bottom tanks. I change 30-40% of the water almost everyday. The glass is cleaned weekly followed by an hour with a diatom filter. I have 2 Hydro IV sponge filters and a Penguin 330 (bio wheels) on each tank. They are cleaned weekly.

In my mind I'm doing all the right things and you'd have to go a long way to find happier better looking discus.

To start, Menagerie, Mbuna and Discus are two completely different stories, if Mbuna are kept understocked, they'll tear each other to shreds, however, Discus prefer minimally stocked tank, that arent 'busy', and that many fish together, your Discus will never be what they could be. Some fish do better in over stocked tanks, some dont, Mbunas do, Discus don't. And Brian, what exactly makes you think you know more? You seem to think you know everything there is to know about Discus, and have everything absolutely perfect, sorry to say yu're dead wrong, I can guarantee you I know more about the Symphysodon genera than you do, so dont make assumptions. And, as for finding happier, healthy looking Discus, I would bet it would take me all of 5 minutes to do so.

To start, Menagerie, Mbuna and Discus are two completely different stories, if Mbuna are kept understocked, they'll tear each other to shreds, however, Discus prefer minimally stocked tank, that arent 'busy', and that many fish together, your Discus will never be what they could be.
I don't own Discus.

P.S. My mature Mbuna are currently understocked (they won't stay that way forever). As for now, they are just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom