Dissolving plant leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBigE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very new to the planted aquarium and still fairly new to aquaria in general and have some things I'm having problems with.

I had CaribSea sand in my 55 gal tank and replaced it with EcoComplete topped with CaribSea Snowy River pebbles. I've ordered all but 1 plant online and I don't know if the issues I'm having are from the plants moving from Florida climate to Ohio sub-zero conditions or if they're from poor water conditions.

A few weeks ago I planted some Madagascar lace which lost its leaves and is now sprouting beautiful new ones. I had 1 Aponogeton that lost all its leaves but now has very long beautiful leaves but they still seem very thin and fragile but it's getting to flower. This past weekend I've added more Madagascar lace, Aponogeton Ulva., Banana Plants, Creeping Charlie, Brazilian pennywort, Two types of Java fern, Anubis, contortionist valisneria and corkscrew valisneria.

Two days after planting all of the leaves from the the new Aponogetons are all tearing and dissolving, the leaves on the valisneria are all gone, now just left with the roots and very short tops, the creeping Charlie, pennywort,Java fern, banana plants and Anubis are all growing really great. After two days I see a lot of growth on these already.

I just can't figure out what causes the dissolving leaves, whether they'll grow back and how to correct any problem that might be in my water.

After testing my water parameters are: ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, GH 8 drops, KH 4 drops (sorry I still don't know how to read the gh/kh thing). I'm filters with 2-penguin 350's watch having 3 filters and purigen. I also have a Fluval 206 running with poly, matrix and purigen. Temp is. 77 degrees, glass top with a Beamswork hi lumen 120, 6500x96,

If you have any ideas what could be causing my prob and how I can correct I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom