Dither fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm what size tank is this? Mine were in a 75 and the severums were everywhere top middle and bottom. I had them in with heckelii that were more bottom to midlevel. If its a 110x or super tall I could see this though.

125g.

I would love the find Congo tetras in my area, but I've had no luck. I am deciding between Colombian Tetras and Denison barbs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to keep this thread going but Mog brought something to my attention. He is correct that barbs swim lower then tetras. This brought me back to my original purpose of this thread. I want a schooling fish that stay mainly in the top half of an aquarium. I have started a lot of research and thought that I would share so you guys could let me know which direction is best.

I found out that each fish swims in a certain region

Top - Congo tetras

Middle - Cardinal tetra, Denison barb, sword tails, silver dollars

Middle bottom - Columbian tetra, gold barb

All over - buenos aires, black neon, glolight, red-eye tetra, mollies, platies

This would mean that Congo tetra are what I am looking for. My issue is that I cannot find them (except online). I really like the look of the Congo, Columbian tetras, and the Denison.

I have never had swords, platies or mollies. I am looking for social interactive schooling fish. Has anyone owned the Columbian tetras? Will they occupy the top half of the tank? Which are the most active schooling fish to watch tetras, swords, mollies, or platies (not wild)? Which take up the smallest bioload?

Thank you for all of your comments.

I've kept Buenos Aires Tetras in with Vieja argentea and I would have to disagree with the fact they go all over. Most tetras will stay at the top and school tighter if there is something they perceive as a "predator".

Sword tails, Mollies, and platys will swim all over the water column, and will not a school even when there are larger cichlids in the tank. They are pretty tough in their own right.

If you're going with Central Americans I personally would pick Buenos Aires Tetras. They get larger, they are fast and tough as nails. Also they look very close to Astyanax mexicanus (Mexican Tetra) that are commonly found along side the cichlids in the wild.

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi are the only tetras I use, I've got over 50 of them thoughtout my tanks and fish room. They will not work with the big boys as they're considered food but for anything such as Crypotheros, Thorichthys, and Archocentrus they're perfect.

I've got a huge school of 30 or so with colony of Vieja heterospilus. They are in every part of the water column not just the upper regions.

Hyphessobrycon anisitsi are the only tetras I use, I've got over 50 of them thoughtout my tanks and fish room. They will not work with the big boys as they're considered food but for anything such as Crypotheros, Thorichthys, and archocentrus they're perfect.

I've got a huge school of 30 or so with colony of Vieja hetrospiius. They are in every part of the water column not just the upper regions.

The 4 " salvini I had loved to rip them in half in the middle of the night. During the day he couldn't catch them.

Yes they're bait at that time and with the more aggressive species. Good thing they're always on sale for a buck at Smetsmart...

LOL Mind reader... That's where they came from and that's what I paid....

Back
Top Bottom