Diy 5 g pale wet/dry with live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason728123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi , I was wondering if it's possible to have live rock in a 5 gallon pale ?, similar to a sump with chambers but in a pale . It would only have a wet/dry chamber , maybe a foam filter , then the other chamber will have live rock , and thirdly will be the pick chamber . I have a hung on skimmer but don't have the room for a glass sump , but have the room for a pale but need some input on it please and thank you .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Jason, I don't see why not, how about using bioballs or another bio media in sump and live rock in tank. May I ask what size is your DT? When I thought about it, it sounds like a open top canister filter, interested in what you come up with. Good Luck! PS pics please.

Hi Tmills. My tank is a 36 gallon , with about 30 pounds of live rock and 40 pounds of sand . I was thinking of a way to have more rock for filtration and more water (for swings ) , and my stand has a board in the middle so I can put a sump tank . So I was think of using a pale for a bio/frag and yes I was thing of using bio balls on top of live rock then a on inch gap between them made out of plexiglass . I will make a sketch and put it post it soon , I'm just at work now . But I was also thing of using two water jugs , one on ether side of centre board to use as a sump but I also need bio balls above the live rock ,then trickle down the bio balls on to the live rock which will be submerged in water . My question is can the live rock be without much light .

Jason, My salt setup is 60gal 2 30gal plumbed into a diy rubbermaid tub running 20+gal sump with a low bioload, so I don't know the rule but I see most running around 1/3 total water volume in their filters so the more volume you get in there the better (Filter) and your question no they don't need light. You might want to lookup diy canister filter very effective and low maintenence and would erase your space problem with the same bennies.

Hay again .So what you are saying is I should run a sump (more water), here is what I was thinking for a sump for my stand that will work and give me the water that I need and hide most of my equipment to .ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408073258.513498.jpg Also here is a pic with a jug in the stand , and I will be cutting the top off ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408073469.154411.jpg

Back
Top Bottom