Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am about to set up DIY co2 using yeast, sugar and a pop bottle. I have some questions.
First, what is the ratio of water to sugar to yeast?
Second, will disconnecting it from the air tube be ok for turning it off?
Third, how should I diffuse it into my tank? I have an aquaclear 30 filter. Should I put the end of the tube into the filter's intake tube?

the ratio slips my mind right now.
and for turning it off if you disconect the air line then yes, no co2 will be going into the tank.
i would not run it through the AC intake, i would use a cigarette filter jammed into the end of the tubing, works very well.
goodluck!

zach_1_6 said:
the ratio slips my mind right now.
and for turning it off if you disconect the air line then yes, no co2 will be going into the tank.
i would not run it through the AC intake, i would use a cigarette filter jammed into the end of the tubing, works very well.
goodluck!

Ok. I don't have a cigarette filter but I will try something like that

Why is it not okay to jam it in the intake? That's what I do and it works fine.

Sorry i may have worded that a bit odd :) the flow of air across the "waterfall" of the filters exiting water diffuses the co2 back into the air and away from the water. the more surface movement, and the more water touching air, will mean less co2 staying in the water.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Why is it not okay to jam it in the intake? That's what I do and it works fine.

Ok ill try that. But last time I did that (I was bored and was trying to improve my biological filtration by aerating the water right before it hits the beneficial bacteria, simply by pumping air into the intake tube) my filter lost its prime and had troubles and couldn't get reprimed

aqua_chem said:
Make sure you use check valves if you do that.

Yep, I did that. I have it made but disconnected, so when co2 comes out it will go into the air. In the morning I will hook it up to my filter intake and make sure its working.

Back
Top Bottom