DIY ornaments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone ever made their own tank ornaments? I'd love some ideas because my girlfriend would like a very colorful tank without having to pay the price or having the same decorations as everyone else who shops at major fish stores. Any ideas would be very welcome!!

Check thrift stores for food grade ceramic pieces. Ive seen alot of unique and colorful options that would look amazing as caves

Try some PVC pipe tubing! Cut it up or cut it in half, get some aquarium safe glue and get colorful rock and put it on the PVC! There are videos on YouTube on how-to!

I just have regular PVC in my tank though! 3 pieces, about 5 inches long, my Black Ghost knife and pleco love them!

If you're so inclined, find a paint-your-own-pottery studio. They have all kinds of stuff that can be turned into aquarium decorations. One thing to be aware of - you need to make sure the place dips the bisque pieces in a glaze before firing it. You might even ask them to dip the piece twice to be sure it's completely sealed. The fun part is that you can paint it in any way you like. :)

I made a cave about a year ago using lava rock,aquarium safe sealant and a small submersible set of led lights. I glued the led lights unto a clay flower pot saucer from walmartand just started gluing rocks together until I liked the looks. fish like it also ,they swim in and out of it and the lits look nice also .just make sure you keep some openings near top so light shows through. I bought my lava rocks on line but cant remember from what company. I just typed in lave rocks . think it was called something fountain.,cause they sold fountains and pool stuff rocks lights etc. Oh yeah thats where I bought the submers. light also

In my 32 gal I put rocks from my backyard (careful the ones u choose). I made a cave with them then I glued some colourful fake plants to the top back of it. I also put red drift wood. And in my son's I put star wars legos. I've seen coconut shells, snail shells, and also flower pots. I used the last one for our beta bowl, broke the bottom so we would only see an inch of the top coming out of the beige rocks. I then put some fake plants in the middle. it looks really cool and zen but if you painted the terracotta with beautiful colours and designs, and put all sorts of plants in them it would look real nice. :D

Back
Top Bottom